Some flowers for the end of August

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Some flowers for the end of August

Post by Steve Johnson »

Although August hasn't been quite as hot as it could be for this month of the year, it was enough to bring out a few nice new flower pics for you. I'll lead off with an update of the Epithelantha featured in First flowers, sneaky flowers. Remember this?

I thought I was looking at just the 2 buds coming in. But here we are with more than a couple:

From today, the gift that keeps on giving:

Next, my 2011 "veteran" Mammillaria grahamii did most of its flowering this spring. After a rather odd bloom-free July, this big, beautiful Mamm is back at it again -- from last weekend:

Also from last weekend, Gymnocalycium baldianum with its summer dress on:

And for the moment, I'll leave you with a look at one of my other 2011 veterans -- "old reliable" Gymno ochoterenae vatteri sporting a bunch of really nice buds:

Looks like 2 are very close to flowering -- mayhaps in time for Labor Day?

Cheers, everyone! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
pins&needles13

Re: Some flowers for the end of August

Post by pins&needles13 »

Beautiful flowers (and flower buds) :) ! i love the Epithelantha flowers
Steve Johnson

Re: Some flowers for the end of August

Post by Steve Johnson »

pins&needles13 wrote:Beautiful flowers (and flower buds) :) ! i love the Epithelantha flowers
Thanks, p&n! By the way, I underestimated the 2 biggest buds on my Gymno vatteri -- opened a few hours ago, although their flowers don't open all the way the first day. I should have a nice pic for y'all in time for Labor Day! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)