First flowers, sneaky flowers

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

First flowers, sneaky flowers

Post by Steve Johnson »

Although early August was the big blast with my blooming Astrophytums, the rest of the month hasn't been without flowers coming from elsewhere on the plant bench. I'll lead off with a cactus that wraps up first and sneaky in one nice little package...

Epithelantha gregii 'rufispina' -- a December arrival from Mesa Garden, and since it came with spent flowers, I knew that the plant is mature enough to flower again. Conventional wisdom says that Epithelanthas can take a long time to establish, so I didn't expect to see much activity with the 'rufispina' until next year. Well, my friends, that conventional wisdom has gone right out the window. First, the plant established its roots more quickly than I expected with a good amount of new growth already showing on top. And second? Let's have a look -- on the left, here's an example of summer growth at the end of July. On the right, here's what greeted me when I came home from work on the evening of 8/5:

If that was a bud, it sure did sneak up on me. A day later, I got confirmation -- yep, my first 'rufispina' bud! The day after that was flowering time:

While Epithelantha flowers are remarkably unspectacular, there's something about their tiny, delicate beauty I can appreciate. Seeing my first 'rufispina' flower was a treat, and bonus to see it sooner than I anticipated. That was just the first, since the plant has been continuing to flower for me. Here's the view from today:

That's 2 new buds -- if I see them in bloom tomorrow, I'll post a follow-up pic.

Next, by no means the first for me, but they're still sneaky because Melocactus buds develop in the cephalium before they pop into bloom. In fact, the Melo matanzanus I got from C and D Plants in mid-March has flowered so many times, I stopped counting about 3 months ago! Even better, the blooms don't open until late afternoon, so I don't have to fret about missing them as I've had with other cacti. Here's a matanzanus flower on 8/14:

4 days later with 2 more flowers and a trail of recently-spent ones left behind:

About the same size as Epithelantha flowers, but these are much prettier -- my matanzanus is welcome to sneak up on me whenever it wants! (Since the species is self-fertile, I'll have to keep an eye out for fruits before the year is done.)

Here's another one that's also not the first to flower, but almost as sneaky -- Coryphantha hesteri. I introduced myself to the genus when I selected it and a retusa last summer. The buds on hesteri come in fast, and I didn't realize how fast until I got mine on July 7 of last year, then suddenly saw buds close to opening a week later. Now here's old Steve asleep at the switch -- from a week ago:

Haven't seen a flower on my retusa yet, but that's a first I'll definitely look forward to. Speaking of...

There's absolutely nothing sneaky about this cactus, but I was so pleased to see the very first flower on my Pygmaeocereus bylesianus. Another acquisition that joined my collection with the new custom-built plant bench I installed last summer, the bylesianus has been living up to its reputation for being a fast grower. Now let's watch it go from bud to flower -- on 7/26 and 8/3:

On 8/16 -- early afternoon followed by early evening:

A day later -- once again, early afternoon followed by early evening:

(While we're waiting, many thanks to DaveW for reminding me that Pygmaeocereus is a night-bloomer.) Ooh, almost there but not quite -- let's give it one more day:

There we are, and the return of our coastal marine layer gave me an assist on some nice evening shots before the light gave out:

And finally, here's the doings at night thanks to a bit 'o decent flash photography:

After seeing my first flower on the Discocactus buenekeri at the beginning of June, I'm happy to know that I now have 2 night-blooming cacti in the collection. Being a lifelong night owl myself, I've always had a special fascination for the night bloomers, so this really was a touch of nocturnal summer magic.

Cheers, everyone! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Re: First flowers, sneaky flowers

Post by iann »

I usually miss Epithelantha flowers completely. I just know they happened when the fruit shows up ...
--ian
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Great shots!
iann

Post by iann »

Do you think this is E. rufispina? It is supposed to be, but I was never convinced.
micromeris-0627.jpg
micromeris-0627.jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 974 times
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:Do you think this is E. rufispina? It is supposed to be, but I was never convinced.
I believe you have a classic gregii there, but methinks it isn't a rufispina due to the absence of reddish-tinged spines on top. Plant form is different too, and to complicate the matter, Cactuspedia lists what I have as a variety of micromeris, not gregii. By the way, I always enjoy seeing your wonderful cactus photos -- Epithelanthas definitely included!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

It looks almost identical to my e.micromeris, but the species in the epithilantha genre are very much debatable with some thinking they are all just a display of natural variation. Just like hair colour or eye colour.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I must confess in most of the pictures I see of supposed rufispina I cannot see any significant reddish spines, certainly not like the ones in these links:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _rufispina" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on second top image in the link below to enlarge:-

http://photobucket.com/images/epithelan ... ina?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether they colour up more in habitat than in cultivation I do not know?

In fact Donati and Zanovello in their "Epithelantha 2011" book don't even recognise rufispina, but simply reduce it to synonymy under Epithelantha gregii.

They say for E. gregii:-

"On the mountain range west of Saltillo (Coah, Mex.), South of the alluvial plain called Laguna Mayran, on brown limestone substrates and reddish sandstone, the plant assumes a rather mimetic morphology, showing a greater inclination to clump. It can be associated to E. rufispina, also described by H. Bravo Hollis."

Presumably on brown limestone and reddish sandstone natural selection through predation would make the reddish spined plants harder to spot so more likely to survive?

It would be interesting to see the original H. Bravo Hollis, Anales del instituto de Biología de la Universidad Nacional de México 22: 22. 1951. description for clarification?

I wonder if most of the plants going around as rufispina are from the correct locality and the red spine colour is variable, or are nurserymen just giving the name to anything with the slightest red trace in the spines?