finally a seed pod on L. Jourdaniana

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
yomero

finally a seed pod on L. Jourdaniana

Post by yomero »

finally after a year or so trying to pollinate two of my L. Jourdaniana, with, williamsii, diffusa, fricii and koeresii, in my last attempt I also used pollen from
Turbinicarpus klinkerianus, Obregonia denegrii and strombocactus discomformis, finally today I got the big surprise to see a seed pod on one of L. Jourdaniana, according to researches I did L. Jourdaniana is a sterile hybrid and all the jourdanianas out there are clones of the same plant,
well now I have to wait to see if I get good seeds that I can germinate. :D
Attachments
IMG_5752.JPG
IMG_5752.JPG (48.95 KiB) Viewed 934 times
IMG_5754.JPG
IMG_5754.JPG (27.05 KiB) Viewed 934 times
IMG_5757.JPG
IMG_5757.JPG (41.16 KiB) Viewed 934 times
DaveW

Re: finally a seed pod on L. Jourdaniana

Post by DaveW »

L. jourdaniana is a bit of a mystery as to whether it is a hybrid or past collection from habitat since so far it has never been found in the wild. Can't find much on whether it will outcross with any other Lophophora's in flower at the time though. Remember stray insects pollinate plants as well as pollinating brushes so unless you isolate plants before they flower you can never be sure of the cross. Even then stimulation with foreign pollen can sometimes allow normally self sterile plants to self fertilise with their own pollen since the foreign pollen fools the normal resistance of the stigma to it's own pollen.

Not cacti but an interesting link on the problems in cross breeding and why the progeny may not be what you think:-

http://fcbs.org/articles/interpreting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Incompatibility can take several forms. Pollen grains may not grow on self-pollinated stigmas or may only grow slowly relative to foreign pollen, perhaps as a result of stigmatic secretions that harm the pollen. In some species, a chemical barrier on the stigma can only be broken down by foreign pollen. It has been shown in these cases that wounding the stigma mechanically, electrically, or chemically can remove the chemical barrier and allow self-pollination. Another common artificial way around this incompatibility is "bud pollination," in which the flower is carefully dissected before it opens and a self-pollination is performed. This method works because the chemical barriers are generally incompletely formed before the flower opens."

http://bio.fsu.edu/~winn/3402L/WinnCH3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kadasgarden.com/CLophophoracross.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yomero

Re: finally a seed pod on L. Jourdaniana

Post by yomero »

it's marked as open pollinated, I'll keep updating. :D