A Melocactus survival story

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jp29

A Melocactus survival story

Post by jp29 »

I posted the essence of the introduction to this story in the Cultivation section, but this is about survival not cultivation.

I grew a great many Melocactus a number of years ago and had a collection consisting of mature plants of just about every species available at that time that I grew from seed and housed in one of Dan Bach's Nursery greenhouses. Here is a pic of part of that collection (with a couple of Discocactus thrown in):

Caveat: I dug that pic out of an archived folder on my PC. The quality (resolution) isn't very good because it was taken before the advent of widely available digital cameras.

I experienced a big setback with my collection in 2011. I had a botched abdominal surgery (snipped lower intestine) that left me attached to a wound-vac machine for two months followed by a long recovery. That put me out of action in moving around my cacti and taking care of them in general. Unfortunately that time period coincided with some of the coldest weather ever recorded in Tucson: 18°F (-8°C) successive nights followed by below freezing days. The thermometer at my home registered 14°F (-10°C) one night. I was able to accommodate most of my small Brazilian cereoid cacti, Arrojadoa, Micranthocereus and Arthrocereus, indoors at my home, but most of my Discocactus (except for Discocactus placentiformis), Melocactus and Uebelmannia in particular did not survive the cold in the unheated greenhouse I housed them in (I believe the temp got down to the low twenties F at night there). That part of my collection was decimated. I couldn't expect, nor did I want, Dan to commit resources to save my plants - he had his own vast commercial growing enterprise to take care of.

As a consequence of that episode I have relatively few Discocactus, Melocactus and Uebelmannia left in my collection. Here is what the remnants of that collection looks like today (with a few odds and ends):

As you can see I lost many plants and many others were badly scarred, but one that did survive was this mature Melocactus acunae (syn. M. harlowii) which is a very rare Cuban species - and one of my favorites. Not only did it survive, but it has flourished and produces bountiful flowers and fruit:

Just one flower this afternoon:

Last edited by jp29 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
jamesfe

Re: A Melocactus survival story

Post by jamesfe »

jp29 wrote: That part of my collection was decimated.
James, the good news is that you recovered. Although your plants were something to brag about. BEAUTIFUL. tfs

Keep doing what you know, I'm not saying any of this out of any disrespect but... I'm sure you forgot more (about cultivation) than most people ever knew (about cultivation).
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jamesfe wrote:
jp29 wrote: That part of my collection was decimated.
James, the good news is that you recovered. Although your plants were something to brag about. BEAUTIFUL. tfs

Keep doing what you know, I'm not saying any of this out of any disrespect but... I'm sure you forgot more (about cultivation) than most people ever knew (about cultivation).
I thank you for that James - I really appreciate it. But the fact is that Cactus & Succulent cultivation is constantly changing and there are many new young enthusiasts who are producing beautifully grown plants using some very innovative techniques and methodologies. It was that way when I started in the hobby - it will always be that way.
James
Robb

Post by Robb »

Those plants are really something special! Your topic on Melocactus has inspired me to give them a try, even though the climate here is less than ideal.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

Well done - wonderful melocacti - one genus that I cannot manage here - too cold on my roof in the winter.
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Robb wrote:Those plants are really something special! Your topic on Melocactus has inspired me to give them a try, even though the climate here is less than ideal.
I am pleased I have inspired you, Robb, Please post some feedback - with pics - recounting you experiences.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

cantharis wrote:Well done - wonderful melocacti - one genus that I cannot manage here - too cold on my roof in the winter.
Thank you, cantharis.
James
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

What a fabulous collection!! Melocactus is my favorite cactus and I got my first Melo Matanzanus in 2012. Since then it has grown a nice cephalium and many many seeds! I now have 5 different Melos, all very special but different!

Thanks for the lovely pictures!
Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

I don't think many people noticed it, but I had my eighty fifth birthday on the 28th of this month - and I think this is a good time for me to retire from in-depth participation in all Forums and Message Boards (not just C&S) as I am tired and need to relax more. I mentioned previously the difficulty I experience writing contributions, so I will resort to "lurking" status and maybe make the occasional short post (and photos).
Last edited by jp29 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

jp29 wrote:I don't think many people noticed it, but I had my eighty fifth birthday on the 28th of this month - and I think this is a good time for me to retire from active participation in all Forums and Message Boards (not just C&S) as I am tired and need to relax more. I mentioned previously the difficulty I experience writing contributions, so I will resort to "lurking" status and maybe make the occasional short post (and photos).
Thats a good age deffinately deserve some time for you self now. Have fun and enjoy the finer times with family and friends now.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND