Are these healthy?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cantharis

Re: Are these healthy?

Post by cantharis »

DaveW wrote:People grow plants in what they want and for various reasons of their own and that's their choice, but lets not propagate old gardeners myths as facts here which science and controlled experiments have proved fallacious. Unglazed clay pots do evaporate water through their walls. They don't however "breath" significantly by allowing air to pass the other way, as the experiment with a sucker disk remaining on one for a considerable period of time mentioned in one of my previous links proved. Because if the pot allowed air through the vacuum would have been broken and the sucker fallen off long before the experiment ended.
So you said earlier.
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

maybe
Last edited by cantharis on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The worst part about using unglazed ceramic pots is when you come to repot your plants in them and you have to rip off so much root tissue which is stuck right to the side of the pots as the plant has tried to root into the clay. Sure they help plants to dry out faster, but if your plants are healthy, active and thirsty, then you shouldn't need water to evaporate through the pot, since the roots will take up all the water in double-quick time. :) All my Ariocarpus are in plastic pots and they take up enough water in two days to completely dry out the soil mix from a saturated state.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
TexasPricklyPiglet

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

cantharis wrote:
TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:First, I would like to say, that is not a beer can. That is a candy tin,
Wow a candy tin - sooo MUCH better !!!!
I never said better, I just said that it was not a beer can, which it is not. The reason why I pointed it out is because beer cans have negative connotations and your tone was just so offensive, I had to say something in this poor OP's defense. I mean, you called his containers "crappy" out of no where. He didn't say anything to you, but when a very knowledgeable member, DaveW, expresses an opinion other than your own, in a polite manner, you respond in a hostile manner and put him on your ignore list? Why is it okay for you to express your opinion in any way that you want (I.e. Directly insulting potting choices that you don't agree with), but you have to try to make me look foolish for simply commenting, and you have to lash out at someone else for wanting to offer scientific evidence on the matter? Why can't we just have a peaceful conversation about pots?!
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:I never said better, I just said that it was not a beer can, which it is not. The reason why I pointed it out is because beer cans have negative connotations and your tone was just so offensive, I had to say something in this poor OP's defense. I mean, you called his containers "crappy" out of no where. He didn't say anything to you, but when a very knowledgeable member, DaveW, expresses an opinion other than your own, in a polite manner, you respond in a hostile manner and put him on your ignore list? Why is it okay for you to express your opinion in any way that you want (I.e. Directly insulting potting choices that you don't agree with), but you have to try to make me look foolish for simply commenting, and you have to lash out at someone else for wanting to offer scientific evidence on the matter? Why can't we just have a peaceful conversation about pots?!
Agreed, and I just put cantharis on my ignore list. Joined the forum in 2009, posted nothing for years, then comes back from out of nowhere exhibiting the good manners and social grace of a sledgehammer. People who aim a cutting attitude at others deserve to be ignored.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

BTW the cacti have been living in Miracle Gro cactus soil their whole lives so they should hold out until I get some grit.
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

oldcat61 wrote:Driller - you're not that far from me. You should be able to get NAPA oil dry easily/cheaply. There's also an active Philly cactus group on Facebook; check them out. Sue
Also where do you get NAPA oil dry?
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Nearest to Cherry Hill:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Motor Parts Of Audubon

206 Haddon Avenue
Westmont, NJ 08108
(856) 854 - 1525

Remember the # is 8822
Attachments
NAPA 8822.jpg
NAPA 8822.jpg (2.07 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

Steve Johnson wrote:
TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:I never said better, I just said that it was not a beer can, which it is not. The reason why I pointed it out is because beer cans have negative connotations and your tone was just so offensive, I had to say something in this poor OP's defense. I mean, you called his containers "crappy" out of no where. He didn't say anything to you, but when a very knowledgeable member, DaveW, expresses an opinion other than your own, in a polite manner, you respond in a hostile manner and put him on your ignore list? Why is it okay for you to express your opinion in any way that you want (I.e. Directly insulting potting choices that you don't agree with), but you have to try to make me look foolish for simply commenting, and you have to lash out at someone else for wanting to offer scientific evidence on the matter? Why can't we just have a peaceful conversation about pots?!
Agreed, and I just put cantharis on my ignore list. Joined the forum in 2009, posted nothing for years, then comes back from out of nowhere exhibiting the good manners and social grace of a sledgehammer. People who aim a cutting attitude at others deserve to be ignored.
You want to ignore me - your right to do so!!!!
Last edited by cantharis on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:
cantharis wrote:
TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:First, I would like to say, that is not a beer can. That is a candy tin,
Wow a candy tin - sooo MUCH better !!!!
I never said better, I just said that it was not a beer can, which it is not. The reason why I pointed it out is because beer cans have negative connotations and your tone was just so offensive, I had to say something in this poor OP's defense. I mean, you called his containers "crappy" out of no where. color][/i]

I stand by my comment - beer cans are NAFF and crappy.

Why is it okay for you to express your opinion in any way that you want (I.e. Directly insulting potting choices that you don't agree with),

We all have our own opinions - You think I am not allowed to express mine??

but you have to try to make me look foolish

no you did that all on your own

you have to lash out at someone else for wanting to offer scientific evidence on the matter?

LASHING out?? Bit extreme maybe. Just not seen any yet.

Seems like a storm in a plant pot - I have no more comments - let´s see who else wants to keep banging on.
Last edited by cantharis on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

cantharis wrote:Agreed, and I just put cantharis on my ignore list. Joined the forum in 2009, posted nothing for years, then comes back from out of nowhere exhibiting the good manners and social grace of a sledgehammer. People who aim a cutting attitude at others deserve to be ignored.
Et tu, Brute !!

And not sure how the date I joined this forum is any way relevant!!! Please explain why you think it is so. But you probably won´t.
[/quote]
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

Last edited by cantharis on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

Driller64 wrote:BTW the cacti have been living in Miracle Gro cactus soil their whole lives so they should hold out until I get some grit.
A Miracle they are still alive !!!!
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

oldcat61 wrote:Nearest to Cherry Hill:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Motor Parts Of Audubon

206 Haddon Avenue
Westmont, NJ 08108
(856) 854 - 1525

Remember the # is 8822
I will go there, but I read that you can buy this at Walmart. Is that true?
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I got some oil dry at Pep Boys (it wasn't NAPA brand, but it said on the bag it could be used as potting soil additive). I mixed it with the Miracle Gro cactus soil to create a 50/50 mix. I just repotted the A. retusus seedlings in it a few minutes ago. Here is what they look like now. Also to please cantharis I got rid of the "beer can" pot and put it in a regular solo cup with a hole drilled in it for drainage.

I'm much more pleased now with their appearance personally. It looks much more natural and like their natural habitat :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (87.54 KiB) Viewed 2187 times