Today's colors

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Today's colors

Post by fanaticactus »

Despite the weird weather we've been having, a few cacti seem undaunted. This G. mihanovichii friedrichii has been blooming quite steadily. Not that it's by any means a particularly noteworthy species, but it has been producing the largest, most-wide open flowers of any previous ones I've had.
DSC03763.JPG
DSC03763.JPG (34.66 KiB) Viewed 520 times
DSC03764.JPG
DSC03764.JPG (39.48 KiB) Viewed 520 times
I was most happy to see this T. bicolor 'mapimiensis' revive this summer. For two years it showed no signs of flowers or even gaining size. Suddenly, it decides to show me it's not dead after all.
DSC03767.JPG
DSC03767.JPG (55.17 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Here's a group shot of how this month is beginning, including the Chamaecereus and G. baldianum.
DSC03769.JPG
DSC03769.JPG (64.84 KiB) Viewed 520 times
And, although it's not a cactus, I had to put up a couple of shots of a Huernia zebrina, with its strangely fascinating flower. It was given to me by a non-cactus friend, who bought it based on the general description of a cactus I wanted (E. pentalophus).
DSC03770.JPG
DSC03770.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 520 times
DSC03771.JPG
DSC03771.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
cactushobbyman

Re: Today's colors

Post by cactushobbyman »

Chamaecereus with white flowers :-k mine are orange. Very nice group and the bi-color, that's why I have a few. :)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

The Chamaecereus is a hybrid. I know of two whites: 'White Peanut' and 'Westfield Alba'. Don't know which--if either--this is. There may be other white hybrids. I got this at Lowe's just over a year ago. I believe it was an Altman cactus.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Lovely display you have there, but that flower on your Huernia really is fascinating!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Steve Johnson wrote:Lovely display you have there, but that flower on your Huernia really is fascinating!
It was a complete surprise to me, Steve. But a happy one!