Ooh you are awful..........but I like you.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Wilk

Ooh you are awful..........but I like you.

Post by Wilk »

Not a Dick Emery tribute I'm afraid but a display of my 3 most shocking plants. Some growers might have binned these long before now. I am daft enough to try to nurse them back to health. In reverse order:

3rd place- Soehrensia bruchii

2nd place - gymnocalycium carminanthum - once beautiful now even the new growth seems somewhat contorted. Apologies for the orientation of the picture. I have tried for 15 minutes to rotate it but something is preventing it.
VImage

1st place - an unnamed copiapoa species which is a complete shocker and an object of near hate

I hope I am not alone so own up and show us your uglies.
Saxicola

Re: Ooh you are awful..........but I like you.

Post by Saxicola »

I don't have a picture at the moment, but I had a small Eriosyce occulta that got badly sunburned last year and it killed half the plant. I hung onto it and now it is forming several pups. I expect within the next year the pups will be big enough to cover up the damage to the point where you'd have to look close to even see anything wrong!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Uh that seems bad, I don't mind that kind of thing if the plants are still Young and have some time to change their overall appearance. How big does that first plant can get?
Bruno
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Soehrensia bruchii can get quite large up to 50cm (almost 20 inches) in diameter and almost as high.

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... id=23&l=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s644.photobucket.com/user/claudi ... 1.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are pretty frost tolerant, so the marks are likely to be sunburn rather than frosting.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Wow, that Soehrensia bruchii is a lovely one when fully grown, I hope yours can recover and probably you would barely notice the scars.

I have a couple of ugly looking plants myself, but most recently a lot of them seem bad because of a fungal infection (probably Fusariosis, caused by Fusarium oxysporum) that is kililng many of my plants. This Coryphanta calipensis is starting to seem a bit rusty now. :(
Attachments
DSC_1009.JPG
DSC_1009.JPG (97.37 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
Bruno
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah I got a matucana madisoniorum that froze and had a bad case of root mealies. It had virtually no roots left its scarred brown on top and to top it off it had som kind of fungle infection turned black underneath and the bottom half kinda collapsed. I have nursed that back from the brink its now got a half decent root ball and has nice green bits splitting the brown scars apart but looks butt ugly.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

Here's my other Soehrensia Bruchii in a 5 inch pot so quite a big plant. I have had them both so long that I cannot remember how I came by them. The fact I have 2 makes me think I must have grown them from seed which means they are likely to be the best part of 25 years old. This one is not without the odd mark but it's a nicer shape. Last year it rewarded me with it's first ever flower bud which was just about to open when I went on my summer golf trip. I asked the missus to take a picture for me and she did...........of the wrong plant! It has taken me 30 years of neglect to now realise the benefits of good ventilation so hopefully my plants will be more handsome in the future.

jamesfe

Post by jamesfe »

Here is my contribution to this post……both plants need ID's so I'll need your help there...
Attachments
IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0767.jpg (37.62 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

James, the first one should be a Ferocactus pilosus, it could grow very big if in appropriate conditions.
Bruno
jamesfe

Post by jamesfe »

Another one, but it's shining tonight..Echinopsis…and earlier this evening.
Attachments
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

Nice to see the sick and lame recover !!!!!
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

I too have a Ferocactus Pilosus which could have been a candidate for the initial post on this thread:

Why you ask. Turn the plant round and here's its tummy tuck.

I have another more hairy plant which is the biggest plant in my collection more or less. Not a sign of a flower but I live in hope. Maybe it needs a new battery??

cantharis

Post by cantharis »

Great to see them restored to rude health.
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi