How to flower Notocactus leninghausii

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Wilk

How to flower Notocactus leninghausii

Post by Wilk »

I have had this plant for years. I have just repotted it from a much smaller pot. The main stem is about 8 inches tall and the largest pups about 3 inches. It has grown quite vigorously and thrown out lots of new stems in the last 2 or 3 years but I cannot get it to flower. I have wintered it pretty cool in past years but this year I tried to keep it nearer 5 degrees centigrade but still no luck. I also gave it a little more shade than in previous years. What else can I try? What conditions best suit them? Help please.
DaveW

Re: How to flower Notocactus leninghausii

Post by DaveW »

They do need to be a bit larger than most of Notocacti to flower, however that one looks large enough. It's much longer and whiter spined than many I have seen and not as golden spined, therefore could be the form known as albispinus:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... albispinus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The crown of your leninghausii main stem looks remarkably level. The old group known as Eriocactus are a group where the crown characteristically inclines towards the sun even though the stem may grow perfectly vertical, so that is natural and not bad growing as some people think, I hope you don't turn it to keep the crown level as that can inhibit flowering?

http://violapinnata.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ge-jr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some people turn cacti to keep them growing straight, but this can inhibit flowering. It is best to keep cacti always facing the same direction to the sun to encourage flowering and putting a small mark on the pot can be one way of indicating the sunny side, or if you put in the plant label (tag) opposite side to the sun. Plants in habitat never get turned but always face the same side to the sun. Obviously that only refers to plants being grown in good light not ones in poor light, say in the dark interior of a room inclining towards the only window light.

http://www.mfaint.demon.co.uk/cactus/no ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course with all species you can always get some clones that are reluctant to flower, whereas others will be precocious and flower much smaller than is usual for the species.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Beautiful and looks like already adult specimen.
It belongs to "long-not-flowering" group of cacti. :)
I had a bigger old one but it hadn't flowers at all within 30 years...
Due to very cold for it winter (+7-12C) it died 3 years ago.
Instead it's "son" from pup as from seed grown plant grow now and I hope to see sometimes its flowers.
But it seems to me that my magnificus and claviceps will flower earlier.
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

I had one of those for years - it never flowered. Got put in a jumble sale eventually.
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I regularly walk past a house with two Notocactus leninghausii of about the size of your plant. It is in a north eastern window sill of a house in between other houses. Both are currently flowering, although I wonder if it will ever see direct sun light. I have one myself, probably one of the first cacti I got in 1995. Also of the same size. But it yet have to flower. It is in a greenhouse that receives sunlight from early in the morning until the final minutes of daylight.

Maybe lack of sunlight is the key...
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Good morning everyone,

I have also some Notocactus leninghausii.
From April to the end of September they are in the "outdoor-dining".
Full sun, plenty of water and fertilizer.
Not all, but most bloom 2 to 3 times in the season.

Mine is a picture of the habitat in memory.
Habitat photos
On a hillside in Brazil, the cacti are in the lush green grass.
They need plenty of water in summer. . . But in the winter they are completely dry.

81405Image

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
xturmin8or

Post by xturmin8or »

I have had one of these for years and as soon as it hit 8" tall it has freely flowered every year. I agree with the above statement that at this height the stem should be straight but the apex should be slanted. The lower half of the main stem does not look well. However, it looks like it is recovering from whatever caused the original problem, but may delay flowering for a bit, at least on that particular stem. I would keep it's care consistent rather than subjecting it to constantly different winter conditions. As long as you don't keep it at the far ends of temperature extremes, this species is rather forgiving, so don't give up, you are on the precipice of having an adult plant that will surprise, and bless you with flowers every year!
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" Patches O'Hoolihan
Adrian