OMG it's about to pop

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tudedude

OMG it's about to pop

Post by tudedude »

yesterday

ealier this evening

oldcat61

Re: OMG it's about to pop

Post by oldcat61 »

So what is it? Not the prettiest plant - some kind of Selenicereus? Sue
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Yes some type of Selenicereus. Not exactly sure which one. Its an old grafting stock with empty nest syndrome.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Kamos

Post by Kamos »

What an amazing bloom! Really beautiful !
Neal
bruno

Post by bruno »

very nice, is it fragrant?
bruno
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

WOW!!! That is gorgeous! Who would ever have thought that a plant like that would have such a flower.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

bruno wrote:very nice, is it fragrant?
I didn't notice any fragrance, I forgot to take a sniff. But it must have something to allure the night creatures to it.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Can I assume what I have is Selenicereus grandiflorus? Sue
Attachments
1-Selenicereus grandiflorus.jpg
1-Selenicereus grandiflorus.jpg (459.09 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I can't understand why a Selenicereus would even flower at that small size ! ?

Are you sure it's a Selenicereus at all .

Probably best to put it in the Cacti Identification board.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:I can't understand why a Selenicereus would even flower at that small size ! ?

Are you sure it's a Selenicereus at all .

Probably best to put it in the Cacti Identification board.
Hormonal effects due to losing the scion could induce flowering, as could stress or many other factors. :P It's definitely a Selenicereus, you could see those distinctive flowers a mile off. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Velly good sir !
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes Eutow they can flower that small and it's certainly a Selenicereus, though probably flowering as a result of stress rather than growing much. Mine goes all the way up into the greenhouse roof and did not flower until it was many feet long, and it is rooted in the greenhouse bed:-
selenicereus.jpg
selenicereus.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
However I gave a bit of it to somebody who lived on the Costa del Sol in Spain who grew it in a hanging basket and it looked just as small and "beaten up" as that plant in the pot and it also flowered for them.

As they say a "near death experience" encourages many plants to try and pass on their genes to the next generation by flowering and trying to set seed. :D

My plant also originally came as S. grandiflorus, but when it flowered I identified it as S. spinulosus from Britton & Rose's key for Selenicereus, seemingly not a very apt name for a plant with tiny spines, but they do feel sharp if you try and run your hand along the stems, and botanical names are only convenient "handles", they are not required to be appropriate as this quote says:-

"Selenicereus spinulosus is a cactus species native to eastern Mexico and, possibly, the lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas in the United States. Common names include Spiny Moon Cereus and Vine-like Moonlight Cactus. Its specific name, spinulosus, means "spiny" in Latin and is unusual for a plant with relatively short spines.

What is Selenicereus grandiflorus anyway Sue? So many other species have now been lumped into it with much smaller flowers that having the largest Selenicereus flower now no longer seems to be diagnostic.

If you Google "Images" for Selenicereus grandiflorus you will get many other Selenicereus posing as it, since people dub virtually all Selenicereus as grandiflorus since their flowers are fairly large for the size of the stems. However how many of these imposters flowers are 35cm across (nearly 14 inches) the size of the one in the link below against that mans arm? I would think the flowers on my S. spinulosus were only half that diameter in spite of the fact it went around mislabelled as S. grandiflorus! Obviously how well the plant is growing and how many flowers are produced on the plant at once will reduce the size of individual flowers, since a single bloom on a healthy plant will often be much larger than if a plant covered with many flowers.

http://www.gardens.co.nz/PlantoftheWeek.cfm?NLID=138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Part of the identity problem is all the photos show the flower & only a fuzzy short piece of the stems. Or the habitat shots are scrambling up a tree. Would like to find a photo in a GH, in a pot. As you say Dave, all the flowers are so similar - I would think the stems/growing habit would be the defining factor. Guess I've hijacked this thread. Sue
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I will see if I can find the Britton & Rose key to Selenicereus species Sue and copy it here.