Best windowsill cacti?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
catlady

Best windowsill cacti?

Post by catlady »

I will be going to a cactus nursery next weekend, and would like some ideas of what to get. I am growing indoors, and have a north facing window and an east facing window I can use, though the space on the east-facing window is limited at this point. I also have cats (obviously), one of which is very interested in cacti, so I need cacti with spines to discourage any taste tests.

What are some cacti I might look for? I like flowers, especially pink, red and orange. Not a fan of yellow or white, honestly. I seem to be collecting Mammillarias entirely by accident, but I do really like them. I'm in Central California, inland, so even though I'm indoors we get a lot of sun (very few overcast days during the spring and summer). My method so far has been to choose cacti that are stuck in shady spots in the Home Depot/Lowe's nursery but still seem to be doing well, but at some point I should probably find out which ones actually do well in the shade.
cactushobbyman

Re: Best windowsill cacti?

Post by cactushobbyman »

Try peanut cactus. Echinopsis chamaecereus. Orange flower and I have mine growing north and east sun. :D
catlady

Post by catlady »

Ooh, those are pretty. I'll look for one. Thank you!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Rebutia and Aylostera and their allies stay small and usually flower well:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Rebut ... 80&bih=703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For shady spots though Epiphyllum hybrids and other epiphytic cacti do well, but often are much larger growing:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=epiph ... 80&bih=703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
catlady

Post by catlady »

Thank you!
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Gotta be Grand mema's favourite

Echinopsis Oxygona or Echinopsis Eyreisii

Possibly Opuntia Subulata

Epi's are a good idea yes, if you have the space.

Get a couple of Euphorbia Obesa . You will have them for years and years. Slow but sure . Smooth bodied, but if you look carefully they have complex Purple and green markings.
catlady

Post by catlady »

One of the couple I've gotten so far is Echinopsis oxygona, since I have an Echinopsis hybrid that has done well for years (aside from my watering screw up this past year), so I was keeping an eye out for more. Glad to know it was a good choice! I'll look for the other two, though. Thanks for the suggestions!

I would LOVE a Euphorbia, but with the nibbly cat I don't dare have one indoors. That's why I gave away all my plants except the cactus in the first place. :( I really miss my amaryllis and stargazer lilies. I'm hoping to rent a duplex or house with a yard within the next year, though, so if I can manage that, then I will probably get some Euphorbias for outside. I see them everywhere and every single one I've seen is so cool.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"I would LOVE a Euphorbia, but with the nibbly cat I don't dare have one indoors."

Pick the right Euphorbia and you will not have a nibbly cat problem for long! :evil:
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

My friend Barbie in town has four cats. ( Nash's garden )

And they don't touch her plants. Sometimes they might knock one over .

Or does you cat just have a fetid with chewing on plants ?
catlady

Post by catlady »

DaveW wrote:"I would LOVE a Euphorbia, but with the nibbly cat I don't dare have one indoors."

Pick the right Euphorbia and you will not have a nibbly cat problem for long! :evil:
:cry: But I love my nibbly cat, even if she is a butt sometimes.
Eutow_Intermedium wrote:My friend Barbie in town has four cats. ( Nash's garden )

And they don't touch her plants. Sometimes they might knock one over .

Or does you cat just have a fetid with chewing on plants ?
She LOVES to chew on plants. Didn't used to, but a few years ago she developed the habit and I had to get rid of everything toxic. She was doing it even though I was getting catgrass and catnip for her. I have to be careful with cacti, even — she has tried to munch on them when I re-pot new ones, though she has left them alone otherwise so far. I'm sure if I got something without spines, she'd try for a taste, and even with spines I'm a little nervous. I just don't want to risk it with anything toxic.