Favorite Cactus Aesthetics

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CactusFanDan

Re: Favorite Cactus Aesthetics

Post by CactusFanDan »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:I could see why you'd like Eriosyce for the spines. E. Andreaeana looks like it would be a must have for spine lovers. I myself collect for flowers I think, and also for form factor. I am drawn to the nice little compact cacti that I can put into nice little decorative pots on my patio. I absolutely love that. I am also wanting an Astrophytum myriostigma. I think the aesthetics of that cactus are amazing. Something about it is just so attractive.
Eriosyce have great flowers too, and they last much longer than the usual one-day wonders like Echinopsis. I have two Eriosyce crispa which have been flowering strong for a week now. :)
Eriosyce crispa flowers. Nice dark stems too.
Eriosyce crispa flowers. Nice dark stems too.
DSCF6085resized.JPG (95.96 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

My tufty only lasted a day :lol:

Yes I remember that time when I went to Capital Gardens at Morden Hall Park. They had just got new plants in fresh.

And that Eriosyce Occultum was just so unusual , I couldn't possibly leave it behind.

But I also bought couple of Gymno's that day too.

=^-^=
TexasPricklyPiglet

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Oh I just love those pink flowers! They are absolutely beautiful. And check out the spines on that one in the lower left-hand corner! What is that there?

@Eutow_Inter and Dan,

Are there a lot of cactus sales and shows in GB?! I'm kind of getting the sense that there are and I find that really interesting. Here in San Antonio, I can only locate one cactus nursery (although maybe I'm just not searching thoroughly enough) and in my hometown there are NO places to buy cacti except for huge common ones for landscaping. Although so many species occur naturally in the area. You guys are so lucky to have dedicated nurseries and shows there.

Also, what do you think of the aesthetic quality of Stenocereus eruca? Is it something that you would like to have in your collection? I'm kind of liking the eerie sort of look too. When I have more room I'd like to start to collect some of the spooky looking sorts.
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
Eutow_Intermedium

There are competitive National shows here in the UK although I have never been to one. We also have BCSS branch Summer Show's. There are different places or regions that have their own shows. I remember going to the Zone 14 open day some years. It was hosted at Kent and Connoiseurr's Cacti. John Pilbeam and Doug Sizmur's Greenhouses.

I do go to some Branch meetings. But never been to a National show.

I have various places that I can get cacti plants from.

The local Garden Centre
Capital Gardens ( Morden Hall park )
Kent and Connoisuerr's Cacti ( once a year ) possibly more
IKEA
BCSS Branch Meetings.

It just seems that I have better access to plants than you sadly.

Shame =^~^=

Fraid I don't know much about Stenocereus. But if it's a Monstrose columnar. I'd say, if it thrives in your region , than try looking after it.
TexasPricklyPiglet

Yes, that is a shame :( With all the wild cacti growing rampant around here, you would think that more people might take up an interest in them.

Sadly, S. eruca doesn't grow here in Texas. I thought it was interesting because it kind of creeps along on the grounds. It's pretty awesome if you think about it; it's like it has somewhere to go!
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:Oh I just love those pink flowers! They are absolutely beautiful. And check out the spines on that one in the lower left-hand corner! What is that there?

Are there a lot of cactus sales and shows in GB?! I'm kind of getting the sense that there are and I find that really interesting. Here in San Antonio, I can only locate one cactus nursery (although maybe I'm just not searching thoroughly enough) and in my hometown there are NO places to buy cacti except for huge common ones for landscaping. Although so many species occur naturally in the area. You guys are so lucky to have dedicated nurseries and shows there.

Also, what do you think of the aesthetic quality of Stenocereus eruca? Is it something that you would like to have in your collection? I'm kind of liking the eerie sort of look too. When I have more room I'd like to start to collect some of the spooky looking sorts.
Lower left-corner is Eriosyce subgibbosa v. clavata. A great plant, but it isn't very free-flowering unfortunately.

We have the BCSS which have branches throughout the UK which hold regular meetings and events. :) In the US there's the CSSA which will probably have similar things. They might be able to recommend you to some local events or nurseries.

Stenocereus eruca is a stunning plant, but the problem for me at the moment is that it takes up a lot of space, particularly here where it would have to be grown in a pot. I certainly hope to grow it in the future. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

I think I have said this before. Didn't know if it was correct to say so or not.

But maybe you could collect seed from local habitat plants in order to grow yourself. You could do the bird or Lizards job yourself and sprinkle a few around the edges of that habitat and water them .

Also you could make a note of where the particular cacti come from.

Once your habitat plants are of a good size , you might be able to reintroduce some of the native plants back into the location, to help bump their numbers or reintroduce if the area's flora is in need of help.

Or if you have a large yard, set aside a portion of it to create your own little patch of native cactus scrublands, such places do wonders for wildlife.

Dan's probably right. Maybe you could look up your local CSSA Branch .

=^-^=

Do you have an IKEA or Home Improvement store ( large scale ) you can go to ? It might be an idea to visit one of those if you want to look for some Cacti plants.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Oh, I see what you mean, they kind of do have their own little personalities don't they? Has the cat scratching thing every happened again? I just have this hilarious picture in my head of a cat scratching up a little defenseless cactus, even though it is tragic :([/quote]

It actually healed well its now got two 2cm heads growing of tbe root and I managed to save the head I cut off its rooted well and has grown nice new flesh on top. Give it a few years and you never known it happend also two for one plants is pretty cool. It wont get svratched again its nice ans safe it the green house now.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
TexasPricklyPiglet

CactusFanDan wrote:
TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:Oh I just love those pink flowers! They are absolutely beautiful. And check out the spines on that one in the lower left-hand corner! What is that there?

Lower left-corner is Eriosyce subgibbosa v. clavata. A great plant, but it isn't very free-flowering unfortunately.

We have the BCSS which have branches throughout the UK which hold regular meetings and events. :) In the US there's the CSSA which will probably have similar things. They might be able to recommend you to some local events or nurseries.

Stenocereus eruca is a stunning plant, but the problem for me at the moment is that it takes up a lot of space, particularly here where it would have to be grown in a pot. I certainly hope to grow it in the future. :)
One day I'm going to grow it too. Also, I just found out that there is a cacti and succulent club here and I'm going to join as soon as I can! Yay, I'm so excited!
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:I think I have said this before. Didn't know if it was correct to say so or not.

But maybe you could collect seed from local habitat plants in order to grow yourself. You could do the bird or Lizards job yourself and sprinkle a few around the edges of that habitat and water them .

Also you could make a note of where the particular cacti come from.

Once your habitat plants are of a good size , you might be able to reintroduce some of the native plants back into the location, to help bump their numbers or reintroduce if the area's flora is in need of help.

Or if you have a large yard, set aside a portion of it to create your own little patch of native cactus scrublands, such places do wonders for wildlife.

Dan's probably right. Maybe you could look up your local CSSA Branch .

=^-^=

Do you have an IKEA or Home Improvement store ( large scale ) you can go to ? It might be an idea to visit one of those if you want to look for some Cacti plants.
I love that idea! I would love to create a natural desert environment in my yard when I have a large enough yard. I would love to try to reintroduce endangered species into the wild, but I am very wary of doing anything that could affect the delicate balance.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

adetheproducer wrote:Oh, I see what you mean, they kind of do have their own little personalities don't they? Has the cat scratching thing every happened again? I just have this hilarious picture in my head of a cat scratching up a little defenseless cactus, even though it is tragic :(

It actually healed well its now got two 2cm heads growing of tbe root and I managed to save the head I cut off its rooted well and has grown nice new flesh on top. Give it a few years and you never known it happend also two for one plants is pretty cool. It wont get svratched again its nice ans safe it the green house now.[/quote]

Good, I'm so glad to hear it! :D
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3