Chopped Mammillaria carmenae

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.

What will it do?

Die
4%
Send up a single lopsided sprout
11%
Make a nice fat clump
57%
Go all weird
29%

Total votes: 28
iann

Chopped Mammillaria carmenae

Post by iann »

I chopped this in half. It was healthy, but too tall and finding it difficult to stand up straight. Hopefully the top half will send out roots too.
carmenae-0710.jpg
carmenae-0710.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
--ian
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Chopped Mammillaria carmenae

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I remember having Mammilaria Carmanae a couple of times in the past and also recently. I have always struggled to keep them, as I do Mammilaria Elongata.

I always end up having to chop them down after the growing point dried up. Then I waited, and waited , and waited some more, before finely throwing it out with Gusto. They don't do nothing , just dry out up top and cave in slightly and decline to produce offsets.

But your plant may prove us wrong.

Anyone else ?
iann

Post by iann »

That's strange. This species often clumps naturally, although neither of my large plants has sent out a single pup. I wonder if a core habitat population is stubbornly single, while nearby plants closer to (or crossed with) C. lauii are the clumping ones.
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have never been able to find if there are any other genuine habitat colour forms of M. carmenae in cultivation other than the golden spined white flowered form? All the others seem to be a result of Continental hybridisation, but as the following link shows there are some with a little red in the spines and a slight pink tinge to the petals in habitat, therefore are the pinkish flower colours or other than golden spined plants on sale selected clones or more likely crosses with M. lauii? One reason I hate reckless cactus hybridisation since it confuses which are species and which man made hybrids. That is certainly why collectors prefer to grow from habitat seed when available rather than seed or plants of dubious commercial origin. Few people seem to visit M. carmenae's habitat and it does not look easy to climb:-

http://www.mammillaria.eu/Probeartikel/ ... 4_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see it clumps in habitat Ian. Not sure whether it does cross or at any point grow with M. lauii in habitat, but certainly has been freely crossed in Continental nurseries with it. By the way notice all the tree leaves around it for those who say cacti only grow in mineral soil with no humus. :)
iann

Post by iann »

No sign of foreign genes in this plant. Just a redder type of spine.
carmenae-160411.jpg
carmenae-160411.jpg (59.57 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

However searching the web Ian there do seem to have been some pink and red flowered as well as red spined plants attributed to Lau, so maybe they are that variable. However are they directly grown from collected Lau seed or from commercially available seed where open pollination from other species is possible?:-

http://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1058 ... a-carmenae" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Not a universal vote of confidence from the voters. Only time will tell, but at least if the top half roots I'll have one plant better than before, and maybe a bonus plant too :)
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I voted for a wanted to happen - it to become a weirdo. :wink: Chances are the top will just carry one normally and the bottom will offset nicely.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

Looks like it's going to go all weird

:cry:
iann

Post by iann »

I voted for make a nice clump. Of course I do have a little inside information, having seen a ring of tiny pups forming about two tubercles down from the cut ;)
--ian
Eutow_Intermedium

Oh Goody !

That is news ideed. The sceptics may be proved wrong after all. Inc myself , who voted it WOULD GO ALL WIERD !

:P
iann

Post by iann »

It may still be weird if it ends up with a ring of pups at the top of a stalk. I've seen standard roses, but a standard cactus would be odd.
--ian
Eutow_Intermedium

Cant be all bad. Remember I have a Mammilaria Nivosa or Pringlei ( not sure )

And that got damaged. Thats a four headed plant now :D
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

For what it´s worth, voted for a weirdo.
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi
Eutow_Intermedium

You will have top add it to the

Ooh you are Awful . But I like you ( thread )

But then again :wink:

Maybe not . .
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.