Poached plants

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
BRC

Re: Poached plants

Post by BRC »

Hope it's better now!
We sailed through endless skies
Stars shine like eyes
The black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
Falls down in tears

Light of the night
The earth, a purple blaze
Of sapphire haze in orbital ways...
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I reported the plants, there is an option to report it if it's "other wildlife that can't be listed". It didn't seem to stop the auctions but maybe if more of us flag them it would actually remove the auctions?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 9.39.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 9.39.06 PM.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

They usually have more reports (in general, not just plants) than they can quickly get to unfortunately. Though I think they can punish them retroactively if necessary. Was there a spot to write exactly what was wrong with the auction? If it isn't obvious what is wrong with the listing they'll let it stay.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
GreenThumb

Post by GreenThumb »

CactusFanDan wrote:Yes, Palmai is one of many dealers who trade in black market poached plants. :( There are a few on eBay in Europe, usually from Hungary, Italy or the Czech republic. If only eBay would do something about plants like this, but I'm afraid if you tried to eradicate trading of plants like that then eBay might also ban the sale of captive-bred plants. :?
With the enormos corruption penetrating countries of the former USSR block, anything that comes from there would be somewhat illegal in one way or another. The mentality of majority living there is of "not caught, not guilty". In fact, many take pride in gaining profits and finding ways to avoid complying with the laws, e.g paying personal taxes. Sales of anything and everything is abundant. It's not uncommon to see seniors selling bouquets of freshly picked wild flowers on the street.

The only way to prevent these kind of acts is to stop buying from them or indeed report and shut down the shady business.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Here's another suspicious auction listing: 25-Texas-cactus-probably-Echinocereus-reichenbachii
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

tumamoc wrote:Here's another suspicious auction listing: 25-Texas-cactus-probably-Echinocereus-reichenbachii
You can already see holes in the ground where others once lived!
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

Honestly I doubt they are done manually at all. I think that if there is some set volume of reports it will remove the listing. Which is why I suggested it here on this forum. Give it a try on this new one
kykeion

Post by kykeion »

adetheproducer wrote:
tumamoc wrote:Here's another suspicious auction listing: 25-Texas-cactus-probably-Echinocereus-reichenbachii
You can already see holes in the ground where others once lived!
The descriptions suggest that they are in the sellers garden "We have lots of them that I transplanted from West Texas."

Of course who knows where in West Texas they came from, public vs. private land.