Melocactus zehntneri

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jp29

Melocactus zehntneri

Post by jp29 »

Growing in my front yard. I previously mis-identified this as Melocactus pachyacanthus but it's red fruit identify it as Melocactus zehntneri. I started this plant from seed about twenty five years ago - it has been re-potted in plastic pots several times in a progression of pot sizes from 2 3/4" up to the present 10" round pot where it has resided for the past few years:

James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Kamos

Re: Melocactus zehntneri

Post by Kamos »

Very nice James! That is an impressive cactus!:-)
Neal
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Wow a king plant! I wonder is the cephalium is just a pile of fur or it has "something" inside it, like a changed cactus body only covered with fur? Do you know that?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Snowcat wrote:Wow a king plant! I wonder is the cephalium is just a pile of fur or it has "something" inside it, like a changed cactus body only covered with fur? Do you know that?
Cephalia are vegetative bodies that keep growing, so yes -- there is definitely something inside, and big-time! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
cortez753

Post by cortez753 »

Wow! Very nice!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Thank you Kamos and cortez753.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Snowcat wrote:Wow a king plant! I wonder is the cephalium is just a pile of fur or it has "something" inside it, like a changed cactus body only covered with fur? Do you know that?
Reference:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... halium.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Steve Johnson wrote:
Cephalia are vegetative bodies that keep growing, so yes -- there is definitely something inside, and big-time! :D
If you consider the different growth phases of a plant, then the cephalium is the adult vegetative phase of an Melocactus. In terms of what it is, it's a densely packed stem with lots of aeroles and fur and stuff packed together. It's a neat little (or big in some cases) organ. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
SDR

Post by SDR »

Very impressive. Thanks for the link on the Cephalium. I am tabbing over to finish reading. I have one melo I need to read up on now.
Constantly amazed,
Stephen
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I think Melocactus fools or confuses everyone at first. For years I thought it was a monstrose form of a normal cactus. Since I'm not fond of most mutant plants I had no interest in one. Once I understood that is just what the plant does, I had to have one!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Very fricking nice =D> Interesting that you've repotted the cactus several times over the years. The big taboo about the Melo, as I'm sure you already know, is the plant doesn't take well to being repotted due to the weak root system. Seems like your Melo has no issures about being repotted. I have a Melo (estimated to be 10 years old) less than half the size of your Melo and it's growing a decent size cephalium and flowers and fruits.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

madkactus wrote:Very fricking nice =D> Interesting that you've repotted the cactus several times over the years. The big taboo about the Melo, as I'm sure you already know, is the plant doesn't take well to being repotted due to the weak root system. Seems like your Melo has no issures about being repotted. I have a Melo (estimated to be 10 years old) less than half the size of your Melo and it's growing a decent size cephalium and flowers and fruits.
Thank you. I have not encountered any problems re-potting cephalium bearing Melocactus - Commercial nurseries do that all the time as they grow them from seedlings to mature plants. I do keep my re-potted Melocactus warm until they are well established.
James