How to separate......?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sharpy

How to separate......?

Post by Sharpy »

Few to many seeds.....
Gymno Cross 022514.jpg
Gymno Cross 022514.jpg (71.35 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
CactusFanDan

Re: How to separate......?

Post by CactusFanDan »

Oh gosh. :lol: Not much you can do, but to tip them out of the pots and separate them by hand. If you're thinking of an actual technique, I tend to hold two plants by the bodies and gently tease them apart. You can use tools to help if needed. They're quite young, so expect a high mortality rate, but I don't think that'll be an issue for you. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Tony

Post by Tony »

Are they hybrids? First ask yourself if you think you can actually sell them two years from now and if they are worth taking up valuable space in your greenhouse.
If so, I would pot them up as is into a four inch pot and let them grow another year at least.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Thanks for the info. Yeah they are hybrids. Was just messing around, last year.

I like the idea of just potting them up. Should just graft up a couple and re-cross them with the pungens.

Would like a long spined mihanovichii, not sure if that is possible. But fun to play with :)

And definitely not dedicating a lot of space to this, right now.

But on the topic, if you wanted to sperate......is it better to do it dry, or float them in water? I have had weird results with the water side of things. When I lay them out, the root systems dry in a flat layer. I want to attribute some previous losses to this. Any thoughts?
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have very little problems pulling the clumps out of the pots when the soil is dry, carefully separating the plants one at a time and immediately sticking them straight into their new pots in dry soil.
I like to wait a week or so before watering them again and only do this up potting when they are actively growing.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If they have an attractive flower you may get rid of them to the local florists or garden centres when in bud or flower, for sale to the general public who are not concerned about hybridity and whose cacti usually finish in the bin within a few months anyway. Eventually the bin is where most of the commercially raised cacti in stores go anyway, or the world would be over run with grusonii's etc! :D