Cactus Album app

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
AKNicolle

Re: Cactus Album app

Post by AKNicolle »

A quick update on the progress of the app: database import/export over WiFi is done, the iPad interface is complete, and watering notifications are working great. All that's left is to finish populating the species list. I'm aiming for 500+ species names, at which point I think I'll call it good. There will inevitably be many omissions, but that's why you can add more or edit what's there ;)

All features are in place at this point. I'll be starting the Beta test this weekend, probably on Feb 2nd. That'll last a week or two depending on how many bugs we find. So if you've got an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and would like to test the app before I submit it to the App Store, please visit the Cactus Album page on my website. Thanks!
Illinois cactus fan & developer of Cactus Album apps (iOS, Mac & PC)
Web: http://andrewnicolle.com
Twitter: @andrewnicolle
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think I would have stuck to proper generic names rather than common names for the main headings if you intend it for enthusiasts. Common names can often be very local and not mean the same to people in different areas let alone countries, therefore would restrict the app's usefulness. You have already repeated your common names under some of the generic names anyway.

Using common names always causes confusion in our hobby, so it's best to get used to their Latin names from a start since these are the only ones used world wide and applicable to a single species. Anyway good luck with your task, I am sure many will find it very useful.

As to watering, as all gardeners will tell you, that depends on the weather and the condition of the plant, not on a set date. When the plant was re-potted may be useful and possibly the compost used since we often change these over time, but watering depends on visually assessing when needed.
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

Yeah, I learned early on that the scientific name should be given priority. All the section headings and the species fields themselves now have that first, with the common name second. Well over half of the names I've entered so far have no common name, which is quite a different situation to the tree species typically used in bonsai.

In addition to the watering schedules, it's also possible to mark the last watered date/time for individual plants. This should be helpful for those in warmer climates with their plants outside year-round. The schedules are more useful for people with plants indoors or in greenhouses where you want to block out parts of the year where the plants shouldn't receive any water at all.
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

A few more screenshots from the Beta version of Cactus Album:
Grid view
Grid view
Cactus_Album_Grid_iPhone5.png (388.81 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
List view
List view
Cactus_Album_Cacti_iPhone5.png (180.43 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Info screen
Info screen
Cactus_Album_Cacti_Info_iPhone5.png (139.06 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Watering Schedule Info screen
Watering Schedule Info screen
Cactus_Album_Watering_Info_iPhone5.png (97.04 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
I'll be sending out the Beta test email shortly. If you'd like to test the app, you'll soon get your chance :)
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

I've just put up a page for the app on my site. This provides some more information about the app, along with screenshots. It should be ready for submission to Apple in another week or so. Can't wait!
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

I've just submitted Cactus Album to Apple! Depending on how quick they review it, it could be on the App Store within the next week or so :)
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Congratulations on finishing your work! :)
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

Cactus Album is now available on the App Store. Enjoy!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Just got the free demo, WOW! Its great. I will definitely get the paid version now! :D :D Such a good app! Works fine on my original iPad!
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Really nice app! I downloaded it with one of the devices I use at my work to check it out. Good work! I'd definitely buy it for my Android if I'd had such an opportunity :)
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

Over the years I've had requests for Mac or PC versions of Cactus Album. Would anyone here be interested in such an app, and if so, would you prefer Mac or Windows PC?

Such an app would be similar to my Orchid Album Mac & PC apps, allowing database transfer to and from the iOS version. It would also be localized into multiple languages, including English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Thai.

The app would look similar to this screenshot:

Kattatonic

Post by Kattatonic »

Awesome idea!
I'd love one place to organize pictures of my succulents so i can watch them grow over time.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Any chance reconsidering the position on Android these days? I would love to try an Android version. Android has a huge user base globally. Especially outside of the US where a lot of the board seems to be located. I've heard the developer tools have gotten much better as of late and "fragmentation" is much easier to handle for whatever that's worth.

Either way, it looks neat. Thanks for sharing. Currently I use a program for Android called Momento, a generic database app, which allows me to create a custom database that I use to track my collection. It works well, but requires a lot of manual input and of course isn't as close to as full featured as your app.

If you do work on a desktop version, my vote is for PC. Windows 10.
AKNicolle

Post by AKNicolle »

I'm currently experimenting with Android and have plans to create an Android version of my Bonsai Album app. If that does well, you may well see an Android version of Cactus Album at some point ;)

Since my previous post I've decided to work on Mac AND PC versions of Cactus Album. More about the new apps here. They should be out later this year.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

That looks pretty neat. Too bad I'm just a lowly Debian Linux user.