Updated seed lists

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Minime8484

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by Minime8484 »

Succseed (http://www.succseed.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has an updated list.

If anyone in the EU is interesting in placing an order and including some seeds I was hoping to obtain, please PM me - they have several species I would love to have, but they don't ship to the US apparently!!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Minime8484 wrote:Succseed (http://www.succseed.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has an updated list.

If anyone in the EU is interesting in placing an order and including some seeds I was hoping to obtain, please PM me - they have several species I would love to have, but they don't ship to the US apparently!!
It's loo late in the season for me to still order things, unless I order species I can sow in the autumn.
Which species are you looking for? They might well be available somewhere else.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Aiko wrote:
Minime8484 wrote:Succseed (http://www.succseed.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has an updated list.

It's loo late in the season for me to still order things, unless I order species I can sow in the autumn.
Which species are you looking for? They might well be available somewhere else.
I'm interested in several Cleistocactus, Loxanthocereus, and Haageocereus species, but I'm particularly interested in their new entry "Cleistocactus spec. nova (Chunga-amaya, Bolivia)". This is one Graham Charles has been growing for a while now that I've been trying to get seeds from. ADPLS had them briefly, but I wasn't able to get them in time. I've written Graham about the possibility of buying directly from him, but have not heard from him about them.

If you know of another place that species is available, I would be very grateful!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

So the 2014 / 2015 seed ordering season has started; http://kaktusynechvil.wz.cz/nabidka.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has been updated.
I haven't ordered there myself, so I cannot speak from experience.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If it's plants Minime, Graham Charles would be unable to export them from the EU to USA due to it being almost impossible to get CITES licences, even our nurserymen have given up bothering since even if you could get them the expense is not worthwhile for small orders. Seed would be no problem, but Graham usually sets all the seed when he comes back from his trips. Not sure if Graham sets seed off his own plants, always assuming he has two of these Cleistocactus in flower at the same time.

I would be surprised if SuccSeed don't ship seed to the USA, they will certainly not ship plants due to CITES problems as mentioned with Graham above. These days you can rule out importing cactus plants legally from other countries without CITES licences, which are virtually impossible to obtain for even nurserymen let alone amateurs. That is unless you live in the EU which is counted as a single country for CITES therefore plants can pass freely within it's borders without licences, but not to outside countries or importing from them..

If you want to import the Cleistocactus into the USA I am afraid it will have to be as seed which is not subject to such strict CITES controls. Looking on SuccSeed's list the Cleistocactus is only available as seed anyway and why would they price in Dollars if they did not export the seed to the USA? Possibly they thought you were asking about them exporting plants?

http://www.succseed.com/seeds-cacti/cle ... livia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
teo

Post by teo »

There are a few seed species in the SuccSeed catalog that are marked for 'EU only' but all the rest should be OK:

Geohintonia mexicana

Article number: 930
interesting & rare, high ribs without tubercles, few short sp, deep pink fl! # Only shipping to EU (20 st/seeds/samen)
$4.12
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You get the same ones on Mesa Gardens list Teo where they will only supply to addresses within the USA, if I remember correctly Mesa Gardens marks these with #. These are the seeds of plants on Appendix I that require special documentation to export and import. No problem importing or exporting Appendix II and lower seeds though.

If you want seeds of Appendix I species you will have to buy them from dealers within your own country or within the EU if you are in an EU country. Note:- importing plants is more highly controlled than seeds, and though you don't require official permits or certificates for cactus seeds of Appendix II and below you do to export or import all cactus plants whatever appendix they are on from one country to another or from the EU to countries outside, though I am sure in the USA a few illegally creep over the border in returning vehicles from Mexico and Canada, just as a few come illegally into the EU in returning holidaymakers luggage who have never even heard of CITES!.

Here are the CITES appendices:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... _cites.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C And D

Post by C And D »

C and D Plants have started a seed list !

Quantities are limited, but we try to have seeds that you can't get anywhere else.
We only accept orders within the United States.

http://www.canddplants.com/seed-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

C And D wrote:We only accept orders within the United States.
That's too bad. You have some very interesting seeds on your list.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

From the look of C&D's seed list Aiko many of them would be on Appendix I so could not be freely exported from the USA to amateurs in other countries, see my CITES appendices link in my post above. Luckily being in the EU we can obtain most of them elsewhere.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

The hard part about getting the CITES paperwork is that you need some sort of paper trail back to the original LEGAL importation of the plant in the first place. Since many of the plants came in through questionable ways in the first place there is no way to show that any of their progeny (plants or seeds) came from a legal source. A lot of things entered the trade before CITES (early 1970s) and anything pre-CITES is ok. The problem is hardly anyone registered their plants with the CITES authorities back then and proving that you've had the source plant for over 40 years is going to be tough at this point.

I don't think the CITES authorities are being unreasonable in saying "please prove your plants did not originate from smuggled plants".
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In the UK legal system it is up to the prosecutor to prove you are guilty not the defendant to prove they are innocent Saxicola, meaning it should be up to CITES to prove the material was smuggled, not the owner to prove otherwise, but alas we are now getting a lot of these foreign legal ideas creeping into UK legislation by the back door where it is up to the accused to prove they are innocent, not to their accusers to prove them guilty.

Our legal system sometimes seems to be being turned on it's head by outsiders, often bypassing our elected representatives in Parliament. Mind you few of these regulations have ever been challenged in court. Therefore if CITES ever went to court it might be interesting to see what a British judge ruled on how legal it was in our system for a defendant to have to prove innocence rather than their accuser to prove them guilty?

Not read CITES rules for decades, but seem to remember there was some clause which said CITES regulations only apply where they don't conflict with the laws of the member country? Also people forget only sovereign countries can be a member of CITES, therefore the European Union can never be a member or have a vote on CITES regulations since it is simply a trading block not a country, though the EU has it's own similar laws that mirror CITES.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

The seed list of 2014-2015 of Kaktusy Cacti Growers Club Hradec Králové has been published.

They offer seeds of Aztekium valdezii, for anyone interested to spend the money.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Another Czech update: the one from Cactus Hobby Brno: http://www.cactus-hobby.eu/sem_11_2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

SuccSeed in Sweden has been updated.