For Halloween

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

For Halloween

Post by fanaticactus »

A "different" kind of holiday cactus, although I understand many people have a Schlum hybrid which blooms for Halloween. Although mine is called "White Christmas", I've been calling it "White Ghost" for the past couple of years. For the last photo I had to use a flash, as it's dark and stormy up here today.
DSC03073.JPG
DSC03073.JPG (51.53 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
DSC03074.JPG
DSC03074.JPG (35.4 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
DSC03075.JPG
DSC03075.JPG (56.59 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
majcka

Re: For Halloween

Post by majcka »

I though Thanksgiving is yet to come. :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Plants know better perhaps! :D
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

My Halloween cactus is at least a bit orange. My White Christmas is about 2-3 days from being open. Is it just the NE that's wacky this year or the whole world? Sue
Attachments
1-Halloween cactus FullBloom.jpg
1-Halloween cactus FullBloom.jpg (77.13 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

majcka wrote:I though Thanksgiving is yet to come. :lol:
It is Maja but now I don't have one that opens at that time. I have only one more, a red one, that will be open in a week or less. I also have the traditional true "Christmas Cactus" (Schlumbergia x buckleyi), but it had an extremely tough Spring and early Summer (with mealybug and maybe other things, dropping full branches all over the place). I nursed it back to health and now it has LOTS of vigorous new growth, but I don't know if it's fully recovered from its trauma to bloom this year.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

oldcat61 wrote:My Halloween cactus is at least a bit orange. My White Christmas is about 2-3 days from being open. Is it just the NE that's wacky this year or the whole world? Sue
From what I see on the news, I think it's the whole world. Terrible storms, droughts, floods, abnormally high and low temperatures, record-setting wildfires, etc. Very strangely, though, we in the USA had way below number of tornadoes and absolutely no hurricanes. Go figure...
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

My olds have two Schlumbergera in their flat too.

The first one to flower is similar to your Red one. The other one is a very light pink with less flowers and slightly behind.

I was thinking that they are Halloween cactus myself this year. At one time it was a Christmas cactus. Then a Thanks giving cactus. Seems they just get earlier and earlier each year.

And i'm in the UK
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Is everyone on schedule? My salmon Halloweenie opened exactly one day before Halloween. The pale yellow is full of buds, so that will be ready for Thanksgiving. Sue
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

My one remaining "Holiday" Cactus opened its first bud the day after Halloween. The others followed right afterward. I went on eBay and bought 6 rooted "plugs" of Zygos (red, white, lavender, salmon pink, fuchsia, orange) in late summer, so they won't bloom for at least another year. My once-huge true Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera x buckleyi) is now dropping long segments all over the place. I'm going to have to take drastic action to cut it way back to live stems and minimal roots to try to revive it. What a shame! It was so large and beautiful a few years ago. But this is my one red one and it was not looking very healthy either last spring.
DSC03930.JPG
DSC03930.JPG (93.3 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
DSC03931.JPG
DSC03931.JPG (66.81 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

My Halloween cactus had a smooshie part on one of the anchoring leaves in the soil. . I had to try and chop it out but the root ball on that thing is absolutely crazy! Idk how I'm gonna be able to repot this thing!!
Even Thoe mine still got buds growing i guess it finally decided its not gonna put much effort into opening them cause they are starting to drop off :( ooh well atleast some are gonna open before the plant is naked till next season
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Right on schedule - the first bloom opened today on my orange/salmon colored Halloween cactus. Too overcast to get a good photo. Happy Halloween! Sue
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

You're ahead of me this year, Sue. I was away for 18 days in October and left my 'Christmas' cacti in a cool porch with a lot of light & tended to by a friend. I have more plants this year, and they're all heavily budded except the one true Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera x buckleyi), which is in recovery. Maybe the ones I have will actually turn out to be Thanksgiving cacti.