Halloween cactus this year?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CactusBoss

Halloween cactus this year?

Post by CactusBoss »

A little early wouldn't you say?
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (38.18 KiB) Viewed 974 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (40.7 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
JamesEG

Re: Halloween cactus this year?

Post by JamesEG »

A load of Schlumbergera truncata have arrived at my garden center this week, they all have loads of buds, a couple have even started to properly bloom. There must be some factor that causes them to flower early, right? :-k
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Nice to have blooms for this time of year. Two of my holiday cactus, one Easter and one Schlumbergera x buckleyi , are dropping a lot of their segments. So I don't have much hope of flowers. First time I've had this in 40 years.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

I know that nurseries sometimes add hormones that cause them to flower. However I don't think those chemicals can last for 3 years, right? Also I don't do anything special for this plant. None of that darkness crap or anything.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

The other night when I went round to my olds flat for dinner. I could'nt help that notice the two large plants that my Mother has are budding like crazy. I was thinking about getting a few pics but I didn't.

One is white , possibly with a white touch and the other is more than likely pink.

The two that I got from IEAK last year and gave to Mumsy , they have grown a bit but have'nt produced flowers as of yet.

Unlike the one of the same age that my Girlfriend got for her mother. It has tiny little buds all over and thats in a pretty much North facing window all the time.

Only the other day I was joking that they should rename Schlumbergera the Halloween cactus. Even too early for Thanks Giving.