Echinocereus stramineus fruit

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
GermanStar

Echinocereus stramineus fruit

Post by GermanStar »

Is there something simple and useful to be done with this? I assume it's full of seeds that won't germinate if I just bury the fruit. :D
Attachments
Cacti 001.JPG
Cacti 001.JPG (46.72 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Echinocereus stramineus fruit

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yes, but you can clean the fruit and get the seeds out.. I would stick it in a blender if you have one.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Those seeds look really tiny! Have you sown seeds yet? Will this be a first attempt?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
M.B

Post by M.B »

That fruit looks the size of a pea. You'll need some fine point tweezers and a magnifying glass to sort them out.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I haven't, I have no idea what to do. If it's too hard, I might just give it away to the first taker. I have a buncha different hedgehogs here, but I've never seen a fruit like this before. It had detached from the plant, but was buried too deep in the spinage for our local fauna to plunder.

I am going to try to sow Agave seed this fall. I have an A. celsii 'Nova' with about 25 pods ripening at this very moment.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

M.B wrote:That fruit looks the size of a pea. You'll need some fine point tweezers and a magnifying glass to sort them out.
Oh no, it's pretty big -- about the size of a golf ball.
Agave