Seed from Kaktusy?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Animo Solv

Seed from Kaktusy?

Post by Animo Solv »

I'm just looking through the Czech supplier Kaktusy.cz / Kaktusy.com; their prices are unbelievably low and their stock range astounding vast. Has anyone dealt with this company? Thoughts? Experiences? Seed quality?

Cheers!
Pilif

Re: Seed from Kaktusy?

Post by Pilif »

Placed an order once; got my first response after 7 months (holiday, or something like that), I cancelled my order...
I don't know if this is standard (I've dealt with quite some other eastern-european seed dealers and I didn't experience anything like that before), and I can't give any feedback on the seed quality. (but again, comparing it to other E.E. seed dealers: generally very good germination, but some species don't do anything at all)
Filip
Animo Solv

Post by Animo Solv »

Great information, thanks Pilif. I've heard that Kaktusy.cz can take awhile, but the products always turn up; apparently it's how suppliers work there(?). 7 months is excessive, but I think they must spend a lot of time in South and Central America, from the descriptions it seems as if they collected most of their mind-bogglingly huge range personally.

Anyone else dealt with the company?
iann

Post by iann »

Different culture over there. I haven't dealt with Kaktusy itself, but with other Czech seed sellers. Many of them seem to be closely affiliated, or even different branches of the same group.

Prices are great, selection is great. Quality is mixed. Germination mostly pretty good, but seed isn't always quite what you expect. Sometimes not even close :lol: Although you might worry about currency most, this hasn't been an issue for me. The days of wiring money or sending cash are gone, and most of them accept Paypal. If you were a Euro-country it would be even easier.

Ordering and timescales can be glacial. In my cases, I've ordered and then waited many weeks. Then the order is confirmed, with or without substitutes or out-of-stock seeds, and you pay. Then the seeds should come quickly. Response to any difficulties can be even slower. No doubt it varies between suppliers, but the attitude seems to be that it will get sorted eventually so why get in a panic about it now ;) Most of them handle English one way or another, but I'm sure it complicates any difficulties that might arise.
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well I've never shopped for seeds with them before, but Ian's right about Czech growers. They all seem to use the same potting mix, same pots and grow similar plant species. :P I'd say they have a good looking shop, though, they certainly have an excellent (maybe overwhelming) sellection. I'll be sure to try some seeds from them at the next sowing. They sell Eriosyce umadeave seeds by the 100 so I might be able to get a plant or two from seed. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Animo Solv

Post by Animo Solv »

Awesome. Might give them a go! :D
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

do bear in mind that czech sellers are known to take many plants from habitat
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Animo Solv

Post by Animo Solv »

Arjen wrote:do bear in mind that czech sellers are known to take many plants from habitat
Do you if they sell these plants, or tend to keep them as seed sources?

I was becoming suspicious of the exact origin of some of their seed, any idea whether Czech suppliers supply seed collected straight from the wild?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

that is very likely, or it may also be obtained from plants taken from the wild
of course I can't say all czech sellers do this, but a lot of them have this reputation
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
iann

Post by iann »

Animo Solv wrote:
Arjen wrote:do bear in mind that czech sellers are known to take many plants from habitat
Do you if they sell these plants, or tend to keep them as seed sources?

I was becoming suspicious of the exact origin of some of their seed, any idea whether Czech suppliers supply seed collected straight from the wild?
Both. Seed from the wild is perfectly legal in most places, even the US. The main exceptions are CITES I species and anything from Mexico. Most seed bearing a field collection number will be from habitat, but not always. Some growers carry on the numbers into seed from collected plants, or even to subsequent generations. Unless you know the supplier is scrupulous with their pollination, or aren't that bothered, then avoid those folks. Lithops seeds routinely carried a Cole number, but almost none of them have seen Africa.

Habitat plants are almost routinely smuggled into Eastern Europe. Once over the border, nobody is going to bother the owners or sellers, and they regularly appear on eBay, and elsewhere no doubt. Some of them come in with dubious paperwork, through third party countries, etc., but it is easy to spot a habitat cactus, and you can be pretty sure that none of them enter Europe within both the letter and the spirit of the law.
--ian
angelo

Post by angelo »

I purchased seeds from kaktusy few years ago. He replied quickly and the seeds were sent early but the germination was very poor, and though some plants of the same kind were different from the name of the package.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

I was wondering if my experience was usual with Kaktusy, so did some searching on this forum and glad I found this post. I guess what is happening to me is par for the course.
I placed my order April 10, 2013 and immediately received an email confirmation of my order with my order # which indicated, "Delivery in 30 days international".
No word by the end of May, so I emailed for a status on May 30, 2013; they replied immediately with a short note consisting of, "Received OK. Thanks. Prochazka"
Still no word by the end of July, so I emailed for a status again on July 30, 2013; I again received an immediate reply with the exact same verbiage, "Received OK. Thanks. Prochazka"

So, I'm thinking their email address may just generate the same generic message no matter what. ](*,)

I guess I'll keep waiting...since it is "only" 5 months!
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

I've ordered 3 times from them.
The last two times there was no communication for a couple of months following the initial OK note, then out of the blue, they sent the seeds with an invoice, which I promptly paid via paypal.
Expect the unexpected I reckon.
All Copiapoa and Islaya.
They've always been very good seeds.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I sometimes wonder if some seed sellers list many species they do not yet have to hand anticipating they will soon be ready off their stock plants or can obtain them, then if not tell you that species is "sold out"? I am sure some list species in very limited supply as a lure to get people to order, then the very choice ones if not highly priced to restrain sales, are again "sold out".

However I did once act as an agent for a Dutch seed firm (just collected the UK money for him) and he said they virtually get an avalanche of orders within a day or so of a list being published in order to obtain any species in limited supply. So if you want the seed in limited supply you pretty well need to order immediately the list is published. In the past that was return of post, but nowadays even quicker email and PayPal as things are usually on a "first come first served" basis.

Perhaps they wait for your order Ian and then send somebody out into habitat to collect them, hence the long wait! :lol:
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

DaveW wrote:Perhaps they wait for your order Ian and then send somebody out into habitat to collect them, hence the long wait! :lol:
:lol:
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287