Seed from Kaktusy?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Re: Seed from Kaktusy?

Post by DaveW »

You have to remember not everybody speaks English as a first language. The Brits and Yanks are a lazy lot expecting everybody to correspond freely in our language, but we are usually reluctant to learn theirs. Probably in the future we all may have to learn Chinese as the new universal language, side-lining English as we become the past now bankrupt super powers through trying to live above our means, since they are now the ones with a financial surplus rather than internationally in debt. :D
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

DaveW wrote:You have to remember not everybody speaks English as a first language. The Brits and Yanks are a lazy lot expecting everybody to correspond freely in our language, but we are usually reluctant to learn theirs. Probably in the future we all may have to learn Chinese as the new universal language, side-lining English as we become the past now bankrupt super powers through trying to live above our means, since they are now the ones with a financial surplus rather than internationally in debt. :D
OK. Not sure how that really applies to this discussion unless you got "I have a problem with Kaktusy not speaking English" from my statement about "communication problems."

Of course, your interpretation cannot be farther from the truth - the "communication problem" of which I spoke relates to the fact that there is *no* communication for months and months and no explanation. I speak 5 languages and am very conversant with the difficulties of language translations, especially with the written word, across linguistic and cultural backgrounds. I communicate with people from around the world, and nowadays, for communications with people that may not be very good with English, I often use Google Translate and include two versions of any communications (including with a nursery in Europe last year to be sure they understood my request). Is GT fool-proof? No, indeed not. But in the vast majority of instances, it will get a message across. I've had seed/nurseries from other countries employ a similar strategy with their customers (that is, using GT for communication in English).

Responding with only "Order Received OK" automatically for any order inquiry - regardless of the question asked - is definitely a "communication problem" to me (it appears they use an automated verbiage email generator).

Sending me 5 baggies of seeds labeled G1, G2, G3, G4, and G5, when I've only ordered 3 species and putting "Gymnocalycium, 5 units" on the inventory when none of the 3 species I ordered was in that genus (despite the taxonomy you use) I think can all be reasonably considered a "communication problem."

So, to summarize, I repeat - I have NO problem with HOW Kaktusy communicates (well, except for that auto-email process); I do have problems with WHEN and WHAT they communicate. When they do communicate, I've never had any issue understanding precisely what they wanted to communicate; and therein lies the problem.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Basically it all comes down to can you get a better deal elsewhere and how much do you want the product? If they are the only supplier who has what you want, say a new species, then you can only trade with them or do without. Once a plant or it's seeds becomes commonplace you can pick and choose suppliers. If they have something many people want they will have customers queuing up for it who are prepared to wait.

Take for instance some exotic cars where even billionaires are prepared to wait years for delivery. As always it's a question of supply and demand. If they have hundreds of customers (as many of the Continental seed firms do) you will not get much individual communication whilst they are stretched processing the orders, only as you say automated messages. Surprising how many companies these days do not seem to be able to use a word processor and computer printer but can only answer letters by phone. They never had a problem doing so in the past. I can only presume their legal departments now do not want to commit anything in writing that may be held against them? :)

That is not unusual these days, email most of the American tech firms and your email will automatically get a message saying it is being dealt with, but as this is an automated message therefore do not reply to it since there will be nobody to answer it. This seems to be "par for the course" for all emails to companies these days, most of them seem to want to get you hanging onto premium rate phone lines rather than answering emails so they make extra money out of you.

If you can find the seeds or plants elsewhere that will save the wait then you can do that. With rarer stuff though it often comes down to waiting a few weeks for the dealer who has them and hope they will supply you, or waiting a few years until they become more freely available.

I don't know the reason for the G1 to G5 etc, but some do this to get around the vagaries of Customs inspection when sending to another country. I suppose the question is what actually were the seeds themselves, I presume none you ordered were on Appendix 1?
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

This has all gotten quite tangential, so this is my last post on the subject.

The intent of the thread was to ask specifically about experiences with Kaktusy; I provided that input. Not generalizations or other companies.
My input: Kaktusy is Bad. Really bad. In several respects.

I really don't care about the reasons, because they all - to me - are avoidable by any reputable company, regardless of where they are based (see companies with much better reputations like, Mesa Garden, Koerhes, Succseed, etc.).

Deal with them at your own risk; but at least collectors have some facts upon which to base their decision.
Johann.mx

Post by Johann.mx »

Hi, I have the same problem, I made an order and inmediately I paid, I was tryinc to contact them asking for information about the status of my order and they only sent me automatic responses.
Ok, Received Prochazka, after 6 weeks I was upset and deceided to cancel the order, they didnt response again and I went to paypal, asked them to intercede and they ignored us again, paypal decided to give me back my money in October. So I decided to buy my seeds from other suppliers. In January I received by surprise a package of seeds that had been sent in December, months after my money was returned. Now I have my seeds repeated. I opened the package and the seeds come unidentified. Just say G1, G2, G3, G4.... G45. That way they do not serve me at all. I have tried to communicate with them again to fix this situation. I need them to give me the ID of the seeds and I write them and they answer me with their automatic emails. How did you do to identify the seeds? Help me please.
oriky

Post by oriky »

i have very bad experience with Kaktusy,
I order very very nice list of seeds. i send mail for asking the price including shipping and packing.

after a month i got all the seeds, with allot of extra's, until now everything sound good, but i got very very very low germination percents. almost all the specie's i have 0%, and highest percents was 100 seeds of D. caput-mdeusa i got 6 seedling of 100.

:\
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Johann.mx wrote:Hi, I have the same problem, I made an order and inmediately I paid, I was tryinc to contact them asking for information about the status of my order and they only sent me automatic responses.
Never immediately pay. Just make your order, and wait for them to respond. They will respond, but might take a few weeks to months depending. Chances are things will be out of stock, especially if you order after October when they have updated their seed list. I expect not much to be left by now, so you might be paying for something they cannot even deliver. You just make things complicated by already paying (you don't even have a order number!). As always with ordering seeds from basically any seed seller: be patient. They will get back to you, eventually.

My sowing experiences with Kaktusy are not that bad. Exactly, which 'Kaktusy' are we talking about here? There are multiple "Kaktusy" seed lists from the Czech Republic. Cactus Hobby Brno, I take it?