Echinocereus engelmannii and regional forms

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
peterb

Re: Echinocereus engelmannii and regional forms

Post by peterb »

munzii is on my list to find and photograph. SEINet gives these coordinates for a collection in San Bernardino County: 34.30000 -116.81120. I wonder if it is really an engelmannii? I think there has been some speculation that it is not. The given habitat seems awfully odd for anything like engelmannii, ss. I look forward to seeing your plants as they progress. I also want to find and photograph llanurensis, down in MX. Those are beautiful plants.

peterb
Zone 9
Aaron_In_Utah

Post by Aaron_In_Utah »

Hi. I'm new here but I've been browsing for a while. I just wanted to share some pictures of Echinocereus engelmannii that I found growing about 20 miles southwest of Wendover, Nevada. These pictures are from June, 2007 but I went back this year and was able to collect a few seeds.

iann

Post by iann »

Var crysocentrus? It's a pretty one, nicely coloured spines and pretty long too.
--ian
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Hi Aaron,
Blake Wellard passed along your information on the E. engelmannii plants you found near Wendover. As you know, Blake is working on Echinocereus in Utah and is working on a description of a new species. I think that chromosome counts will confirm Iann's ID for your plants as var. chrysocentrus but as yet, we don't know how far north the new species ranges.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
Aaron_In_Utah

Post by Aaron_In_Utah »

I'm glad to hear that is a known population and that it's being studied. Does anyone know how far north engelmannii grows in Utah? I purchased a plant many years ago from Intermountain Cactus that I believe they said was from the Salt Lake Desert. It looked different than all the engelmannii that I've grown or seen. Here are a few pics showing its growth over the years. I really liked this one and wish I still had it. :idea:
Attachments
Echinocereus_engelmannii01.jpg
Echinocereus_engelmannii01.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Echinocereus_engelmannii02.jpg
Echinocereus_engelmannii02.jpg (133.99 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Echinocereus_engelmannii03.jpg
Echinocereus_engelmannii03.jpg (107.86 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Echinocereus_engelmannii04.jpg
Echinocereus_engelmannii04.jpg (115.68 KiB) Viewed 817 times
cantharis

Post by cantharis »