ELK

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Saxicola

Re: ELK

Post by Saxicola »

Out of curiosity, is this the biggest C&S show in Europe? Seems like it must be one of the bigger ones if people will travel that far and get hotel rooms just to go to it.

Without trying to derail the topic again, the nit picky side of me has to say that Reindeer and North American Elk are two totally different animals. That's the last I'll say on the topic I promise!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

sure seems like there were a lot of nice plants there. Looks also like they had something for everyone there too. Cacti, succulents and a few interesting looking non-succulents too.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Saxicola wrote:Without trying to derail the topic again, the nit picky side of me has to say that Reindeer and North American Elk are two totally different animals.
But they are from same family. :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Astro

Post by Astro »

Arjen wrote: did you take a plane to visit the ELK or did you use to live in europe?
Grew up in Belgium... The ELK was only a good hour's drive away. My collection kind of withered away and died after I went off to college and then moved to the US. I've only recently rediscovered the hobby :)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

ah I see, so are you flemish or walloon?

saxicola, yes the ELK is the biggest cactus convention in europe
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

ELK is coming again. Just two weeks. Anyone else up here is coming?

I have my wish list ready...
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"And the U.S. is only one of three countries in the world that is not metric."

Wait until they metricate the clock and year. 10 hours in a day and 100 minutes in an hour, plus 10 months in a year and 10 days in a week! The earths rotation and day and night will obviously have to be disregarded in the quest for a uniform metric system! And what about latitude and longitude with it's minutes and seconds. Will we still have 360 degrees in a circle too?

Strange they are all still systems using twelve's, sixties and sevens that have not yet been metricated, no doubt being too difficult to change? :D

Was not ELK originally the "Three Lands Conference"? The Dutch were one country, Belgians the other in the past but I can't remember the third?

Never been to the ELK, but for those who don't know what this European get together is, some links to reports here:-

http://www.elkcactus.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://northants.bcss.org.uk/nl173/nl173elk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three video's of it here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu6MwFl83uQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually this is the first place European collectors can obtain newly discovered plants since the Continentals are great propagators and acquirers of new plants and through grafting can have seedling grafts on sale within a year or so of their discovery, who knows maybe even Aztekium valdezii this year and Mammillaria bertholdii next year?
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Aiko wrote:ELK is coming again. Just two weeks. Anyone else up here is coming?

I have my wish list ready...
Good morning Aiko,

I'm sure there on Saturday.
If I have time already Friday.
When I know more accurate, I am writing again.

Would be nice to meet there!

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
AgavaSK

Post by AgavaSK »

Hello!

A friend of mine, a grower from Slovenia, is intended to go to ELK. But I am not sure if he is more excited because of selling or purchasing :lol:
More pictures of my cacti&succulents in 2016:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 933bd488be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
majcka

Post by majcka »

AgavaSK wrote:Hello!

A friend of mine, a grower from Slovenia, is intended to go to ELK. But I am not sure if he is more excited because of selling or purchasing :lol:
Both!! I can assure you. :mrgreen:
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

majcka

Post by majcka »

ELK!!!
ELK!!!
ELK!!!
ELK!!!
ELK!!!

11., 12., 13. september!!!

See ya!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Americans also wrongly call Bison, Buffalo! Bison Bill I suppose does not have the same ring about it! :D

http://www.livescience.com/32115-bison- ... rence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have thought about going to ELK sometime for the vast array of plants available, some not long discovered and quickly propagated by the Continentals and E. Europeans, but it comes just a week before the Cactus Explorers Weekend I usually go to, and though Explorers has nothing like the plants available they usually have far more lectures in English which at least I can understand!
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

majcka wrote:ELK!!!
ELK!!!
ELK!!!
ELK!!!
ELK!!!

11., 12., 13. september!!!

See ya!!!!!
I'll see you there. ;)
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Me too. I will be there at Saturday the 12th only, though.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:Me too. I will be there at Saturday the 12th only, though.
So will I. We arrive Friday evening, take a nap and we will be there all Saturday long. :lol: I hope I will see you both.

My latest MUG shot looks like this:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+MajaSak ... 6302610435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you find me first. :lol:
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook