ELK

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Pushrestart

Re: ELK

Post by Pushrestart »

Well to graffiti, as I understand it you can bring in 12 plants or less with you in your bag w/ a phyto and not go through hoops of fire, also make sure they are not CITES I plants as those require a cites certification and a special import permit yada yada . Hope this helps.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... t-products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think all Cacti are listed on CITES appendices I or II, therefore require CITES documentation, as do many Other Succulents. Seed is the only thing that can cross International Borders easily without a lot of paperwork.

"International trade in specimens of Appendix-II species may be authorized by the granting an export permit or re-export certificate; no import permit is necessary. Permits or certificates should only be granted if the relevant authorities are satisfied that certain conditions are met, above all that trade will not be detrimental to the survival of the species in the wild."

See:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... _cites.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Yes Dave you are right all cacti are on the cites I or II. But as I understand it most that are on II are there as a precautionary measure, and if your bringing in plants that are nursery-grown, clean, pest-free etc I doubt they'll be stingy. Some nurseries are cites certified so its easy for them to just top on a phyto and its done. It easier all together if cacti arent in the picture, but so long as they're NOT appendice I, it shouldnt be too much trouble. Ask around I could be wrong.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I would send it as a parcel, personally. Better than to carry it and run the risk of being confronted at the spot. But then again, I don't travel outside the EU (for as long as the UK is still EU) and I am not a plant mail order person.

Your example of the person being arrested was probably for taking in habitat plants?
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Aiko wrote:I would send it as a parcel, personally. Better than to carry it and run the risk of being confronted at the spot. But then again, I don't travel outside the EU (for as long as the UK is still EU) and I am not a plant mail order person.

Your example of the person being arrested was probably for taking in habitat plants?
Yes I believe people who are collecting habitat plants in SIZABLE quantities are the ones who are often in serious trouble
like these idiots
http://africageographic.com/blog/couple ... ossession/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and these guys only got slapped with a fine.
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch ... es/470070/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyways...
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Amusing an article "Busting Cactus Smugglers in the American West" is headed by a picture of a South American Sulcorebutia! An illustration (pun not intended) of how much journalists know about cacti.

Not so sure the Customs always know the difference between wild and collected plants. In your last link the pictures of the confiscated Echinocactus grusonii look like cultivated plants to me and E. grusonii is probably the most numerous cactus in cultivation, even though threatened in habitat by the country of origin's dam project, rather than as usual blaming collectors. However I believe another population of E. grusonii has been found some distance away from the original one, so it is not as endangered as first thought.

The authorities tend to confiscate anything without documentation, since those seizing them cannot tell the difference between habitat and collected. It is a way of bureaucrats forcing people to apply for expensive documentation for cultivated material which keeps the "paper shufflers" in a job, the cost of which has stopped most nurserymen sending plants out of their own country.

Yes the plants I mentioned were habitat collected I was told. Seemingly the USA is more "free and easy" regarding interpretation of CITES requirements for importing plants than the UK is from outside the EU. We will have to see when we leave the EU whether our new government will require our bureaucrats to be more commercially friendly, or if they will try and prevent all imports through bureaucratic almost unobtainable paperwork, including from the EU.

As to the statement in the article about the Mammillaria luethyi locality being kept secret by the original collector. If you read recent cactus literature you will find many other people have visited it in habitat. Often the person who publishes a plant is not the first to discover it. It has occasionally been known and collected by others years before it's official publication. Regarding habitat secrecy, though I have never been to ELK I have been told that newly described cacti will be on sale there, often "under the counter" as seedling grafts, within a year or so of their publication. If habitat secrecy worked that would not be the case.

The problem for professional botanists is secrecy works both ways. If they do not divulge their habitats to amateurs, the amateurs, who usually find more new cacti than they do, will not diverge their habitats to the professionals. That ends up with a greater knowledge of the Cactaceae residing in amateur hands than in that of professional botanists.

Friends of mine who have often visited habitat have taken the countries official botanists from the Universities around with them to show them their own native cacti they did not even know existed. Also Rangers in charge of national parks, who until shown, did not know they were regularly passing new species habitats only a few meters away from their vehicles they did not know existed within their park.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Just four days to go!

(Well, for me, as I will attend on Saturday...)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:Just four days to go!

(Well, for me, as I will attend on Saturday...)
2 days for me. In about 48 hours we will have to live Slovenia. :?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Almost time!
majcka

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:Almost time!
TIME OVER. Image

I will write a report when I'll find some time to do it. Image
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

majcka

Post by majcka »

Here are pics from a trip and from Blankenberge.

It was a nice trip:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83587211@ ... 0579126493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Great pictures majcka! Thank you for posting. It looks like a fun event! :D
Neal
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

majcka wrote:Here are pics from a trip and from Blankenberge.

It was a nice trip:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83587211@ ... 0579126493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uh... nice dog turd?
majcka

Post by majcka »

toadstar wrote:
majcka wrote:Here are pics from a trip and from Blankenberge.

It was a nice trip:

Uh... nice dog turd?
Sorry...I couldn't help myself but posting. Image
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

majcka

Post by majcka »

Kamos wrote:Great pictures majcka! Thank you for posting. It looks like a fun event! :D
It was fun event....but tiresome one too. Image
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook