Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Good places to get Cactus

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

http://www.oldwestcactusfarm.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I rarely plug any places, but I noticed this. Last time I went was after we had a vicious cold spell. The cacti were cheap, I was dirt poor when I went. Maybe I will stop buy again. Apparently they take orders VIA phone as well, for all of the US. Sorry people who don't live here.. darn laws! :(
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Ohioman

Post by Ohioman »

I've had some good buys from Ebay stores and some not so good. You pays your money and you takes your chance. If he treats you right save the seller. If he treats you bad, dump him and never go back. In any case, quarantine your plants when they arrive from a new seller, because that is a good way to to get a good case of mealybug, scale, or white flies.
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

Rob check out Cactus Fleuri in Quebec but I don't think they do orders. But maybe you're close enough. I want to go but I don't have a car. Even though I'm 45 minutes away from them (it's about 45 minutes out of montreal)
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

When up North in Ontario, the Belgian Nursery in Bresleau is a great place to visit. Their cactus greenhouse is a treat. They have a great selection of cheap cacti, although they are not given botnaical names. Bobby Z
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow, that looks like a great place! Very clean too!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
nbcrty

Post by nbcrty »

was just passing by Lowe's and found a cute Echinocactus grusonii :) sadly it has 3 ugly flowers glued onto it.
Attachments
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG (54.65 KiB) Viewed 16691 times
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG (56.34 KiB) Viewed 16691 times
yorkiemiki

Post by yorkiemiki »

tvaughan wrote:I just made a large order from Sheilam nursery in South Africa, and was pleased. The prices are great as they are in Rands, and even with postage and phyto permits they worked out at about 3 bucks each for rare plants. A good way of getting plants not easily available here in the US.

I also bought from Shoal Nurseries, and the plants were about 20% more than other nurseries, but were much larger, and I heartily recommend them.

I also bought 50 odd plants from Mesa Gardens, and the plants were somewhat small, but very inexpensive and the service was great. I very much recommend them.
YOu say 3 bucks each? is that with shipping?

I'm about to convert my lawn to a succulent garden and wanted to get some rare cool species
larry breheny

Post by larry breheny »

I notice that there has not been a post here for a long time. Some of you cacti enthusiasts must know where I can buy quality plants at a reasonable price? I live in Ireland.

Thanks

Larry
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Read the whole thread, Larry. Most of the biggies/quality nurseries still there. I've been @ it 5 yrs & all the U.S. plant people still selling; the European seed people are also still @ it. Nobody's Good Rep has diminished =D>
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Samee

Post by Samee »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:http://www.oldwestcactusfarm.com/ I rarely plug any places, but I noticed this. Last time I went was after we had a vicious cold spell. The cacti were cheap, I was dirt poor when I went. Maybe I will stop buy again. Apparently they take orders VIA phone as well, for all of the US. Sorry people who don't live here.. darn laws! :(

I saw the pics and wow, hugee. The problem is, there is no catalog on their site, its just pics. So when I call them, I have no idea what to order.

atm Im looking for people or nurseries that are selling cacti hardy to zone 5 AND accept PayPal. So far Ive found one and will be ordering from here:

http://www.stoneycreekcacti.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ive not ordered yet but their selection, kinda small, is a really good one. Their shipping rates are also not a joke like other nurseries that charge $12 + $8 for handling.

I will look thru the pages, Im already tired of googling for these.
TheCactusGuy

Post by TheCactusGuy »

any one know a good place to bye cacti in israel?
catlady

Post by catlady »

Has anyone else had much luck ordering off of Etsy? I got a gorgeous cactus that appears to be pest-free, very healthy and a bit larger than I expected for the price from an Etsy shop called Succulent Beauties (to add a grain of salt, I'm a newbie and I've only had it a few hours, so it could have problems I am unable to recognize, but given the shop's great reviews, I'm very optimistic). Unless something changes in the next couple of days, I would definitely order from them again next time I really want something I can't find in the local nurseries.
luigonz

Post by luigonz »

I figured I'd drop a plug for Paul's Desert in Shertz TX (just north of San Antonio). Hes got tons of ariocarpus, astrophytum and other cold hardy cacti. I dont think most of his stock is seed grown by him, but he's got a great selection that you can browse (better than shopping online, IMO). Plus his private collection is stunning.
'The skeletons of the plants are for me as important as the flowers.'
instagram: @oakbeard
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Wish there were places around my home town of Salem, ma
All we really have is online or kanes flower shop and the people their kill most of the cacti/succulents before you even can buy them, but they don't have fake flowers glued to them so that's a plus but they are basically potted in plain potting mix (soaking wet) with a few rocks for airing the roots. ...and they put these root covers (??) Mesh kinda things that make it utterly impossible to repot the plant without totally destroying most of the root system and also really hard to get the roots free from soil, you gatta keep cutting thru all this mesh stuff and shake away the dirt and when you finally get the plant free the roots are so tiny and fragile in comparison to the size of the plant. I've literally had to pot up plants with no roots at all and if any they were tiny and thin.

But it's better then nothing i guess
QueneT

Post by QueneT »

I recently bought some cactus at Home Depot and was pleased for the most part, one mammilaria had those silly straw flowers on it, I took them off and there is a REAL bud forming underneath. :) The others seem to be in good health, I did loose an Agave Confederate Rose though, not even a week later it turned to mush!!