Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

I placed a seed order with mesa garden through an email roughly 2 weeks ago, and am yet to receive an acknowledgement of the order, or had the charge appear on my credit card. Can anybody tell me if this doesn't match their experiences?

My understanding of Mesa Garden is that they can be slow to fill orders when busy (which is fine), so I don't want to bother them needlessly.
Cris

Post by Cris »

Is normal.You must have patience.They are few people with huge amount of work to be done.When i placed a 3000 usd order i received about 6 parcels each 3 weeks..the last parcel arrived about 2-3 months after ordering. But the results were good and i have lot of plants from those seeds :D
Cris
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

It's very typical to get no correspondence at all from them. Your seeds/plants just show up at the door. If you gave a credit card number, you will be able to see when they charge you on your account.
Buck Hemenway
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I get one those "Mesa Garden has sent you a package" emails every time.
AntonioM

New nursery

Post by AntonioM »

We have been on the market for the European Union only one month, and is going beautiful, please take a look a our web site, is not completely finished yet, but you can see almost everything we have.

http://www.cactus-sol.com

Saludos
http://www.cactus-sol.com

------------------
promethean_spark

hmm

Post by promethean_spark »

It took them about a month to respond this year, but I was late in ordering. I think they ship the orders in the order they are received, and I got faster results in previous years by ordering the day they release the new seedlist.

Re the post immediately above - straw flowers - yuck.
dattdude

Post by dattdude »

i purchased a couple succulents from out of africa plants. I was impressed with the packaging timely shiping and low cost. I just put an order in for two more plants. They mostly have seedlings in 3 or 4 inch pots that wont need a transplant until after the next growing season. they have very healthy and hard to find varieties of succulent plants.
Last edited by dattdude on Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 4a possible -35 F
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I've heard good things about them too.

What is the picture about?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
dattdude

Post by dattdude »

its a green pic, mostly, a tarro patch and bannana trees in the backround.
Zone 4a possible -35 F
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Is that you in the picture?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
dattdude

Post by dattdude »

no, just a brother. i wasnt expecting so much banter about the pic so i take it down now. :lol:
Zone 4a possible -35 F
Gallows

Post by Gallows »

If anyone in Canada is looking for a cacti nursery who sends out plants by mail order, try Valley Succulents. I have purchased nearly half my collection from Jamie. Excellent quality and a very reasonable price. Valley Succulents is located in Comox BC.
Mark
Jefff

Post by Jefff »

I purchased almost all of my cacti through ebay.
But the best seller I've ever bought from is Miles Anderson/ Miles2go.

I just placed an email order on Sun 8/28 and received it on Thurs 9/1.
I payed $62 for 11 cacti (6 Stenocereus griseus, 2 Myrtillocalycium's, 2 grafted and variegated Gymnocalycium crest's and a Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus crest).

There was no charge for shipping and when I got the heavy box full of cacti the shipping price label was $21.40.

Not only does he NOT rip you off with outrageous shipping charges but you hardly pay anything for your plants as well!
And the cacti are always perfect, healthy, beautiful plants.
I can't recommend him and his plants enough.

I also recently ordered from a greenhouse (don't know if I should say who or not).
I bought 40 4" plastic pots, a bottle of rootone and 100 flexible plastic labels.
The box was the same size priority mail box that I got my Miles cacti in but I was charged $18.35 for shipping.
The box weighed nothing close to what 11 cacti weighed, yet $18.35??
There was no shipping price label either, so really I have no clue what the actual cost was.
Sounds like another big fat shipping rip off to me.

Also:
Cactuslands .com
They have a lot of really cool cacti, OK prices too.
My only problem with them is that they graft everything onto Myrtillocactus which always come bloated or deflated looking and never live long for me.
1Adam12

Post by 1Adam12 »

Did a search for this "miles2go", I don't think that is correct, as that person has zero feedback.
1Adam12
John C

Post by John C »

1Adam12 wrote:Did a search for this "miles2go", I don't think that is correct, as that person has zero feedback.
It is definitely correct. I have placed and received a total of around 3 orders from them and are always amazed at the size and quality. That is a really great nursery. I highly recommend it!

Here is a link to my old thread from last year with pictures of some plants I got from Miles 2 Go. Just scroll down a little.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 01&start=0
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"