Look what I found!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
m4rkz0r

Look what I found!

Post by m4rkz0r »

I've been having issues with caterpillars eating my cacti but I found this guy on my tomato plant. Its a tomato horn worm caterpillar and its the largest caterpillar I've ever seen; about the size of my middle finger. I read somewhere that when they become moths they pollinate night blooming cacti. Anyone else have any info on these guys?
Attachments
IMG_20120815_155948.jpg
IMG_20120815_155948.jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."
--Aldous Huxley
martenfisher

Re: Look what I found!

Post by martenfisher »

They are solanum specific and the moth is not a cactus pollinator but will visit any flowers at night. The moth goes around lamps at night.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

If this is the same as the sphinx moth, they do indeed pollinate Peniocereus greggii. I have also seen them night-visit Datura and Nicotiana. Here's a forum picture from a while back. Moth? No problem, but I don't think I'd welcome the caterpillar in my garden.
greggii moth.jpg
greggii moth.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Here is one on my C. peruvianus when I was in CA:

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Great shot, daiv! It's fun to sit in the dark (moonlight or low light) waiting for them to lumber through the area in search of nectar.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

I've never seen a moth like that in the wild yet, but I saw one when my pet (yes that same or similar caterpillar) changed into one. what's funny is how they like potato leaves more :D .
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

thanks for the input guys. I was hoping for some pictures of cacti and moths :-)
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."
--Aldous Huxley