Escobaria season has begun

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Escobaria season has begun

Post by iann »

E. missouriensis ssp navajoensis is the early bird, although not so early as last year.
navajoensis-080512.jpg
navajoensis-080512.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 962 times
E. sneedii and many flavours of E. dasyacanthus have lots of buds and the original E. dasyacanthus even opened a couple of flowers today. Even E. minima has a few tiny buds coming.
--ian
iann

Re: Escobaria season has begun

Post by iann »

I'm going to sneak this in here too. It used to be called Escobaria ;) It has been flowering on and off for weeks but really needs some heat to open the flowers properly.
roseana-080512.jpg
roseana-080512.jpg (96.38 KiB) Viewed 960 times
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Nice! Our Escobaria season is almost coming to a close!

I have noticed (atleast with my seedlings) that the average time from seed to bloom is 4 years. A lot of the Escobaria i had sown back in 2008 have all flowered this year. E. dasyacanthus bloomed at 3 years.

What has your timeframe been?
iann

Post by iann »

E. dasyacanthus certainly flowered quickly, two or three years. Same for E. minima and E. navajoensis. Some of the E. navajoensis flowered at 1 year old. Some take longer. E. hesteri is slow for me, I think it wants more heat. The Acharagmas are very slow from seed, I don't think I'm doing it right.
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Lovely flowers! :)

I've not had a peep out of my E. minima as of yet, although it's not in a very warm position at the moment, however i've had E. sneedii flowering for a few days now. :D I like the petite little blooms.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
peterb

Post by peterb »

Here, it takes longer for Escobaria to reach flowering size, as the nights get too warm too fast and their burst season is over quickly. They are no longer growing this year, already. It averages about 6 years to flowering. Fantastic and well grown plants, Ian.

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Well its about time! :P
Same as Darryl, im seeing mine tapering off now too.
I think im going to try the Acharagmas next year, hopefully I can find them.
Great looking plants!
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ian, do you keep these outside? The plants in the ground here should have open flowers by the end of the week. If yours are in the greenhouse, I would think they would have opened a while ago.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

daiv wrote:Ian, do you keep these outside? The plants in the ground here should have open flowers by the end of the week. If yours are in the greenhouse, I would think they would have opened a while ago.

Daiv
Some may go outside at times in the summer but they don't do well outside all year. This April has been very cold and wet. No sun means the greenhouse doesn't warm up so things that like the heat are running late.
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking flowers!
It used to be called Escobaria
what is it called now?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

iann wrote:
daiv wrote:Ian, do you keep these outside? The plants in the ground here should have open flowers by the end of the week. If yours are in the greenhouse, I would think they would have opened a while ago.

Daiv
Some may go outside at times in the summer but they don't do well outside all year. This April has been very cold and wet. No sun means the greenhouse doesn't warm up so things that like the heat are running late.
Know what you mean the only plants I've had flowering so far are those that I bought already flowering. :lol: Mine are all in my make-shift green-house and like you I'm still waiting for it to warm up a bit. It's not been as bad as in England though I must say, just not stable yet. :( Oh well I still have lots to look forward to when it settles down more. I love the pics. Ian. Beautiful.
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

StrUktO wrote:great looking flowers!
It used to be called Escobaria
what is it called now?
It is called Acharagma. That means no grooves. Hard to imagine it was ever considered an Escobaria since the flowering structures are so completely different. The fruit and seeds are similar to Turbinicarpus but Acharagma is now thought to be closer to Lophophora.
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

oh yes, acharagma, of course :) roseana?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
iann

Post by iann »

Moving right along. In case you didn't know, we have gone directly from February to a heatwave. I thought E. hesteri was going to open before E. leei!
minima-230512.jpg
minima-230512.jpg (73.63 KiB) Viewed 805 times
leei-230512.jpg
leei-230512.jpg (86.6 KiB) Viewed 805 times
E. dasyacantha always produces lots of flowers, but usually before late May.
dasyacantha-230512a.jpg
dasyacantha-230512a.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 805 times
dasyacantha-230512b.jpg
dasyacantha-230512b.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 805 times
dasyacantha-230512c.jpg
dasyacantha-230512c.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 805 times
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Good to see your Esco's responding to the change in weather accordingly. :D Some lovely flowers there. I still haven't gotten much out of my E. minima, though. :-k
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog