Another Melo "gamble"

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SnowFella

Another Melo "gamble"

Post by SnowFella »

One of the local nurseries that the wife has a membership in put on a saleday today with 20-50% off on all plants for members so a short cartrip was in order. Not to impressed by the selection of cactii that they had this time around, usually have some gems among the common plants, but when I noticed the larger potted cactii was 40% off I could't help myself and came home with a mature M. matanzanus.
Looks to of been top watered over the cephalium so the seedpods haven't had a chance to dry but rather has gone soggy, going to try to remove them before they do any damage.
Brings my total up to 4 melocactii, not counting the 15 or so seedlings that slowly are growing away in a propagation box.
hoteidoc

Re: Another Melo "gamble"

Post by hoteidoc »

Beautiful plant, Snowfella =D> ! Don't have the heat for these guys -- don't even try to "push the envelope". Guess that's a blessing -- don't need another 1/2 dozen or so cacti to "want"!
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I think you got a good buy! I need to give those a try sometime. Before I knew enough about cacti I thought they were some monstrose thing that only existed in horticulture. Basically I assumed it was a graft much like those red, achlorophyllous Gymnocalyciums. I'm not a fan of most bizarre horticultural mutants. Once I realized this is perfectly normal and just what that genus does it made me see it in a whole new light!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
majcka

Post by majcka »

If I get me such one my kids will still have place to sleep if take that as a pillow. Right Peter?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Glad you can still work the kids in, Maja. they must know they're loved or they'd be GONE :wink:
Peter
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
majcka

Post by majcka »

hoteidoc wrote:they must know they're loved
Of course they're loved. Cacti love them verrrrrry much.

Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

jnspire

Post by jnspire »

majcka wrote:
hoteidoc wrote:they must know they're loved
Of course they're loved. Cacti love them verrrrrry much.

Hahaha... CLASSY!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Luckily for me I don't have the kids problem to deal with. Got 2 out of 3 out the door already, just need to get rid of the youngest stepson and I'm in the clear :lol:

Be treating this one just like I treated the other ones last winter, as soon as I start getting single degree nights they come in for the duration of the winter. Last winter I had 2 plus the seedlings and atleast one of the large ones survived. Both lost their roots but it does seem like the larger one manage to reroot properly, the smaller one is still sitting in a pot and showing a fair bit of shrinkage and haven't put on a single new areole all summer but I'm not giving up on it just yet.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Looks like it's showing it's approval of my ownership with 2 tiny little flowers, saw no hint of these untill about midday today. One has opened and the other is just barely peeking up through the cephlium. :D
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

:cheers:
Isn't it great when plants "let you know"! Not quit a cat or dog, but you've got plenty of fuzz to stroke! :D Or use for a pillow! :wink:
Peter
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Think I'll keep it out of the bedroom for the time beeing, wife thinks I'm nuts enough as it is!
majcka

Post by majcka »

SnowFella wrote:Think I'll keep it out of the bedroom for the time beeing, wife thinks I'm nuts enough as it is!
Thank goodness I don't have a wife to bother me about my cacti-holizm.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook