Now for some encouraging sights

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Now for some encouraging sights

Post by fanaticactus »

Instead of dwelling on my winter losses, I will post some photos of promising new life in my collection. As you view them, I'd be interested to know how soon you think they may bloom. I'll be away for two weeks beginning the first of May, so I'm afraid I'll miss some of the show. First is my Lepismium monocanthum, which is the only cactus I have that I can actually say "thrives on neglect". Every year in late winter the stems are studded with all these buds that open in late April/early May to small, but pretty, orange flowers. I really don't do anything special to it--it just grows & grows.
DSC02113.JPG
DSC02113.JPG (94.66 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
DSC02114.JPG
DSC02114.JPG (56.03 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
DSC02115.JPG
DSC02115.JPG (76.27 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Next is a Sclerocactus/Glandulicactus/Ancistrocactus uncinatus wrightii with three buds. This is the first year I've had it, so I'm glad it came through the winter with no problems.
DSC02116.JPG
DSC02116.JPG (64.82 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Here's a Sulco- or maybe plain Rebutia I showed a few weeks ago. Anyone: any idea which species? The buds are just a bit bigger.
DSC02117.JPG
DSC02117.JPG (120.72 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Then I have a Rebutia-something (species, anyone?) that I also showed a few weeks ago. Buds are coming along slowly.
DSC02118.JPG
DSC02118.JPG (115.07 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
My Echinocereus viridiflorus (?, I think) is sprouting all around the base. It's still not quite 2" tall, so I don't know if these are flowers or pups. This is the first year for this one, too.
DSC02119.JPG
DSC02119.JPG (62.63 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
The biggest and most surprising sight for me is this scrawny Epi I've been nursing for a couple of years. It hasn't grown much and I had given up hope on it ever doing anything positive. I was shocked to see three buds on it. The third photo shows how small and sparse it is. I don't even remember which hybrid it was; maybe the flower will help ID it.
DSC02120.JPG
DSC02120.JPG (67.45 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
DSC02121.JPG
DSC02121.JPG (42.74 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
DSC02122.JPG
DSC02122.JPG (44.52 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
gemhunter178

Re: Now for some encouraging sights

Post by gemhunter178 »

Now THIS is what you want to see when you go to water your cacti!
Nice buds on them too.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, this is the time of year to be watering all those cacti (the spiny ones!). They will love it now but might not be so interested in high summer. My Glandulicactus have massive buds, hard to imagine they haven't opened yet. Echinocereus and Rebutias coming too, must be just enough sunshine between the showers.
--ian
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

fanaticactus wrote: My Echinocereus viridiflorus (?, I think) is sprouting all around the base. It's still not quite 2" tall, so I don't know if these are flowers or pups.
These are flower buds
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

And as of today we have rain and temps in the low 40's. Tomorrow the same and then a coastal storm brings heavy rain late Sunday night and through Monday with some snow (!??!!) just west of us. :x I want to water them but I don't dare even tho they're in the GH--just too raw outside. :idea:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Andy_CT wrote:
fanaticactus wrote: My Echinocereus viridiflorus (?, I think) is sprouting all around the base. It's still not quite 2" tall, so I don't know if these are flowers or pups.
These are flower buds
All I can say is "Wow! YAY!"
RayC

Post by RayC »

Looking good. 40's? 76 here in Northern CT, not that far away :), but Northern VT is different. Any signs of life for your outdoor plants yet?
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

RayC wrote:Looking good. 40's? 76 here in Northern CT, not that far away :), but Northern VT is different. Any signs of life for your outdoor plants yet?
The O.humifusa pads are standing just a bit taller and the C.imbricata and O.polyacantha could have a smidge more of color--but I've been busy away from home for the last couple of days and really haven't looked that closely.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hehe despite the higher temps here my O. humifusa just woke up about a week ago or so. It's got buds. Need to check to tomorrow to see what I am getting :)

C. spinsior here has buds on it not quite ready to bloom, and C. acanthocarpa are already in bloom, some have finished already but not all.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
RayC

Post by RayC »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:hehe despite the higher temps here my O. humifusa just woke up about a week ago or so. It's got buds. Need to check to tomorrow to see what I am getting :)
Is that one from Connecticut or something? Mine just started lifting pads last Monday when it hit 92 here.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Dave - Good strategy for peace of mind with "shift" from neg. to pos.! All those "Surrender/Surprises" are the Best! :D Strange with the humifusa's. Mine "lifted" in the March warm up & and now there are dozens of "eraser-head" sized growths -- last year most of which were blossoms! Have a pad on porch with 2 new pads size of quarters! Watered all the plants on porch Fri. 'cause wasn't paying attention (rare - but Mom had just been buried :( ) to storm coming up! Hate to have them survive winter & kill them end of April. Hopefully most will forgive me one more time. :roll:
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Sorry to hear about your mother, Peter. But perhaps her spirit will watch over your collection for you during the storm and your cacti WILL forgive you.