Echinomastus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Tony

Re: Echinomastus

Post by Tony »

:thumbright:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

spectacular!

peterb
Zone 9
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Very nice flowers! :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Really nice. Don't which one is the nicest, but the green one seems to be catching my eye. Lovely.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Excellent!

I got lucky to have one of my E. erectocentrus Florence forms bloom with the white color instead of pink. Although i saw an equal amount of both in habitat.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very beautiful!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

CoronaCactus wrote:I got lucky to have one of my E. erectocentrus Florence forms bloom with the white color instead of pink. Although i saw an equal amount of both in habitat.
Daryl, my Florence(?) variety acunensis is a pale pink, rather than the solid pink. Is that what you mean by white? On that note, I notice two different shades in Peter's new Florence pics topic: Florence acunensis/Gila County arizonicus. Those are some great habitat shots.
tumamoc

Re: Sonoita Grasslands Echinomastus

Post by tumamoc »

I was out in the grasslands north of Sonoita, Arizona earlier this week and stumbled across a fairly dispersed population of Echinomastus intertextus. One of the local, common names for this cactus is Chihuahuan Pineapple. Having now seen a few older specimens, I can see it is aptly named. What a great plant! Here are a few examples, from smallest to largest, including one that measures 20 cm in height and 8 cm in diameter. I didn't know they could get so big! Most of the plants probably bloomed a couple of months back, and now have fruit with ripened black seeds. Interestingly, at the southern end of the population, the seeds were light brown (that is, unripened) and one plant was still in bloom.

Finally, another view of the gigantic intertextus shown above...
peterb

Post by peterb »

Love the Arizona forms of intertextus. Nice photos!

peterb
Zone 9
keith

Post by keith »

I was out in the grasslands north of Sonoita, Arizona"

Its beautiful up there. It reminded me of southern CA with the rolling grass and oaks. The rainfall is different CA winter rain AZ summer rain.

The intersection of HWY 83 and interstate 10 you ever checked that area out ? Right by the freeway. Lots of cool stuff there.