Forum restored - free to post...

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Forum restored - free to post...

Post by daiv »

Andy, just bumped the limit to 25. Do you think that will be good? I would hate for people to have to go through the extra work of using a remote host.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Yeah, that will work for me. I had 16 in one post.

Also to anyone who entered a photo in the current photo contest I'd fix that first.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Right! Just added my contest picture back in.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

hob wrote:Looking much better Daiv, i find it hard to understand how things were not backed up for 16 months though.

I back up all my important stuff to an external hard drive at the end of every month.

hob
Well I've tracked down the problem of no backup to a communication error and the nature of "sys admin" guys. (There ought to be a highly relevant "Dilbert" cartoon to go along with this.)

In any case, some time back Tony switched the backup schedule from daily to weekly. That is, he asked Hostgator to do this. In the process, they did this and said something to the effect of "OK, you are set for weekly backups, but it is set to restore only so you'll want to change that." or something like that.

So since Tony only specifically mentioned the schedule, only the schedule was changed, but the backups were not turned on. So it is a bit of a shared fault here. Tony should have tested it and they should have known that he meant to change the backup to "weekly" and that meant having backups actually running. Not changing it and leaving it off.

All water under the bridge now. Still no idea why the site and my e-mail was deleted.
hob

Post by hob »

been looking at cactus of the month ....................some images missing all the way back to the beginning even some of Johns :x

i have them all backed up here..............it will take some time to restore them all though

done the 15 newest tonight

hob
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

well it's good that at least it is partially back up instead of NOTHING at all.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
apfire

Post by apfire »

I am very happy the site is back up!! I was one lost soul with out it! :D
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

FYI - at the time of this post, there are some backups running and scans for malicious things too. (maybe not at the same time) So the site may be a little slow right now as it gets a much needed safety and security check.
hob

Post by hob »

hob wrote:been looking at cactus of the month ....................some images missing all the way back to the beginning even some of Johns :x

i have them all backed up here..............it will take some time to restore them all though

done the 15 newest tonight

hob
2005 updated will do some more another day
incurable cactoholic
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hob, I think the ones in John's old post were saved and reposted by you because they were on his old photobucket account or something. So even though the entry is older, the image was only added within the last year and a half or so. Ironically, you did that so it wouldn't be lost and here that's what happened.
hob

Post by hob »

its strange because some are missing and others are not................. i thought it was more than 18 months ago when i did that

the images on my pc are dated "27 February 2008" that would be when i downloaded them all to save them from photobucket.
incurable cactoholic
hob

Post by hob »

this image problem may be bigger than you first thought ........................

there are lots of images missing from hobs topic 2009

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 31&t=10772
incurable cactoholic
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Hi, Daiv! it looks like a heroic effort to get this much material deployed and running again. Congrats on that after such a disaster. I checked, and a lot of my photos are housed elsewhere, so a decent percentage are unaffected. Maybe some others were restored here; I didn't do a detailed, personal post-mortem. I think I'll just keep posting from here on out as new things arise. They always do!
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Why did you have to save them from Photobucket? Was there a problem with their service or policies?
hob wrote:its strange because some are missing and others are not................. i thought it was more than 18 months ago when i did that

the images on my pc are dated "27 February 2008" that would be when i downloaded them all to save them from photobucket.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Good work getting the forum back up and running Daiv =D>
As for images, looks like the wayback machine hasn't trawled the forum since 2010, last trawl dates back to December 12th 2010 unfortunately.

@Dean: could of been something along the lines of what imageshack is doing right now, altering their usage agreements. The free accounts there nowadays can't have more than 500 images and from the 1st next month anything above 500 will be removed unless you sign up for a payed plan. I've got in excess of 700 images in mine so I've only got a few more weeks to either cough up the dough or have 200+ images deleted. :(