Echinocactus texensis

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mark

Echinocactus texensis

Post by Mark »

Does anyone body know where i can find/buy echinocactus texensis?!?! I know miles has some but i want some bigger ones.

Thanks
Mark
Tony

Re: Echinocactus texensis

Post by Tony »

Mark wrote:Does anyone body know where i can find/buy echinocactus texensis?!?! I know miles has some but i want some bigger ones.

Thanks
Mark
What size are you looking for Mark?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
RichR

Post by RichR »

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

I have always found the E. texensis from Mesa Garden to be healthy and ready to grow.

They may even have specimen sized plants.

But if they don't, they grow very well and quickly if given 19-6-12 slow-release fertilizer (osmocote) and regular moisture during the growing season.

The long-spined cliff form is fabulous, and worth getting if they have any left.

Best of luck!
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I haven't been by in a few weeks, but I'd be surprised if these guys didn't have some: B & B Cactus Nursery in Tucson. The folks there are very helpful and knowledgeable and the cactus prices are resonable. Anyway, it's worth giving them a call.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Is that ebay seller selling wild collected plants? I would strongly discourage buying such plants.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony- Im looking for flowering size plants.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

I would be very careful buying from that eBay seller - out of 2 plants they sent me, both were partially rotten & dried with hollow spaces...the pictures were simply appropriately placed to hide that fact. Luckily, they weren't their really pricey ones - I never buy pricier plants on eBay unless I've gotten good stuff that was cheaper. I know *I* will never buy from the seller again.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

daiv wrote:Is that ebay seller selling wild collected plants? I would strongly discourage buying such plants.
From their website: http://www.cactusbylin.com/category/8243700
"There is a lot of development going on in the western states. Large tracts of land that were previously owned by the federal goverment have been auctioned off to private ownership. These were and still are range land for livestock such as cattle. Other than that the lands are still in their original wild state with many native species of plants. If a native cactus is on private property, the owner may destroy it to develop the land. If the owner wants to sell or donate the native plants, he/she must obtain yellow permit tags from the Department of Forestry. These tags are very inexpensive, but must be with the plant until it reaches it's final planting destination. California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona participate in this tagging program. Texas does not. However, if you are pulled over by police who question you about the plants, you must prove that you purchased the plants and did not dig them yourself without permission. So keep your receipts with you when you are traveling through the western states.

We acquire native cactus and yucca plants from many different legal sources throughout the Southwest. If the native plant is from a state that requires yellow tags, they will be included with the plant when you purchase from us. If the native plant is from Texas, it will not have a tag, so keep your receipts."

The Echinocactus is a Texas native, so it could very well be taken from habitat.
Minime8484 wrote:I would be very careful buying from that eBay seller - out of 2 plants they sent me, both were partially rotten & dried with hollow spaces...the pictures were simply appropriately placed to hide that fact. Luckily, they weren't their really pricey ones - I never buy pricier plants on eBay unless I've gotten good stuff that was cheaper. I know *I* will never buy from the seller again.
I guess that just depends on what you buy. I bought three tropical Peniocereus cacti from the seller over the years and they are all thriving today.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I would like to briefly reiterate, without getting into a rant, that the entirely legal digging of plants from the wild, in particular from private property in Texas with the property owner's permission, is still not necessarily ethical or environmentally advisable. I reject the trade in habitat plants, even if they are legally extracted, with the very occasional exception of trusted and legitimate rescue operations.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks for posting the info. I guess I have an automatic negative reaction to seeing wild plants for sale. Even if legit - it is too easy to find a loophole and exploit it.

It is one thing to take seeds or cuttings from the wild, another thing to dig a plant from the wild and take it home, and yet another thing to dig plant in the wild and sell them for profit.

I think for must of us, human nature makes it very difficult to stop or hold back on digging wild plants when your bank account gets positively affected. There is an unlimited motivation to dig, dig, dig and it is all to easy to justify the action as "rescue" or "legal" or whichever. Whereas at least those who would dig for their own gardens are hardly going to be digging more than a few plants.

That's why I don't like to see wild plants being sold for profit even if it is legal or a legitimate rescue. Each of us has to make his/her own choices, of course.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

daiv wrote: I don't like to see wild plants being sold for profit even if it is legal or a legitimate rescue.
I agree with you 100 percent.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

If the bulldozers are coming, I say damned the rules - let's save the plants.

However, I am entirely against selling wild plants - and never buy any myself as to me it is akin to a sin.

If you don't own the land you don't control it.

But I am against digging wild plants that are not in immediate danger of harm.

Collect seeds from the ones in habitat. E. texensis is VERY easy to grow from seed. In no time you could have thousands of seedlings.

The seed method is how Mr. Brack has done his good work in providing the masses with rare plants so that digging them from habitat is unprofitable - thus saving the wild plants.

If you're not at death's door - buy seed grown plants and bide your time.

If you are at death's door - you don't need another cactus.

(Oh boy, I've said it now).