The "new" Astrophytum (Digitostigma caput-madusae)

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Bill in SC

The "new" Astrophytum (Digitostigma caput-madusae)

Post by Bill in SC »

Bill in SC
Franj

Post by Franj »

Whoa!!!!What the heck is that !!?
Is it really something new? Grafted to what? Pereskiopsis?

Franj
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Relatively new Franj. Yes it is grafted to Pereskiopsis.. Here is a link Daiv dug up. The guy that took lots of pics in this link (Dr. Jurgen Menzel)supplied the seeds to a friend of mine in Miami, who in turn, germinated them and grafted them. I feel very blessed to have received this rare oddity..
http://www.host-no-cost.com/kakteenster ... index.html
Bill in SC
Franj

Post by Franj »

Fantastic! Almost looks like a cross between an Astrophytum and an Ariocarpus agavoides. Or a chimera of some sort. Just when I thought my want list was done you add one more :D

The strangest thing is the tubercules are smooth and tubular. Not angled like other long tuberculed cacti such as Leuchtenbergia and the Ariocarpus mentioned above. I wonder if any DNA studies have been done yet. It's interesting that they are assigning it to Astrophytum, based on just the flocking and similarity of the flowers. But the growth habit? Like nothing ever seen before!

Thanks for turning me on to another fascinating plant :)

Franj
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi:

I wonder..Is this legal?..or is the same story that M. luethyi...
Last edited by mavaz on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I will say that some of the most respected men in the field of C&S are publicly working with this species. Therefore, I am sure that it is indeed legal.. :lol:
Bill in SC
Mark

Post by Mark »

Very nice and interesting.

Mark
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Bill- It might be ethical but illegal. I don't think the plant material is supposed to be out of Mexico. BUT- nice plant! I was reading up some more last night on it and it seems to actually grow better on its own roots, according to one of the botanists from Mexico writing of her plants in cultivation.

Peterb
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Very interesting indeed! Is it a baby and will eventually grow its tubercules like a sort of Medusa's tentacles? :D
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

<Hi>

Hmmmm, might be, I have no clue. It's odd that you can order the seeds online if it is indeed illegal. But heck, you can order opium poppy seeds, marijuana seeds, and many other illegal things online, so maybe that doesn't mean anything. I do know the folks in the article from the provided link are, once again, some of the most respected men in the business. I can't imagine them doing anything illegal. There's too much integrity at stake with these master growers to do something unlawful. There must be a loophole..
Bill in SC
Franj

Post by Franj »

The Mexican government and CITES may have allowed some seed collection. They're doing the same thing with some other rare cacti such as Yavia in Argentina in an effort to prevent the collection of actual plants in the wild. I think it's a good idea.
http://www.bcss.org.uk/yavia.pdf

Franj
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Thanks for the clarification Franj. I knew my cactus growing heros would not be doing anything illegal! :lol:
Bill in SC
iann

Post by iann »

No worries on the legality of this one, although there are also illegal ones in circulation. There were two major releases of plants recently, one to California and so leading eventually to this baby, and one to Germany which appeared almost instantly on eBay and ended up who knows where. At this point it has become nearly impossible to distinguish the legals from the illegals but if some guy down the pub offers you a "caput-meduase, mate, no questions asked", you have a right to be suspicious ;)
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Bill, this is one plant that has really captivated me, how un-cactus looking can a cactus get? I thought I'd never ask that question again after seeing my first Leuchtenbergia. But since I saw the first pics that Jordie posted way back when, everytime I see it, I'm like a boy looking through the toy shop window... as I dream that one day I'll have one too!

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- The good news from several different quarters is that Astrophytum (Digitostigma) caput-medusae is a breeze in cultivation, and rather fast-growing.

Peterb