Cactus gloves

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
leisurely

Post by leisurely »

Wells Lamont gloves work great if you don't apply too much pressure.
Jerry
kaktus

Post by kaktus »

And some use similar gloves while handling venomous snakes... recipe for disaster. Thanks for posting this. If you don't mind i will share this on reptile forums. I hope it will be an eye-opener for some.

Btw, I use a folded newspaper for "handling" cacti, works great.
29Palms

Post by 29Palms »

kaktus wrote:And some use similar gloves while handling venomous snakes... recipe for disaster. Thanks for posting this. If you don't mind i will share this on reptile forums. I hope it will be an eye-opener for some.
I thought about that briefly then forgot about it!
Sure, I don't mind if you share this. Actually, I purchased these gloves from a site that sells protective gear and equipment for handling snakes. :shock:
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

I think with the passage of time, the body develops a sort of immunity against the sting of the spines especially glochids.. Glochids no longer seem to hurt... Its just a pain to locate each to them to tweeze out :D No stinging/inflammation though :shock:
-Mughal
29Palms

Post by 29Palms »

mughal113 wrote:I think with the passage of time, the body develops a sort of immunity against the sting of the spines especially glochids.. Glochids no longer seem to hurt... Its just a pain to locate each to them to tweeze out :D No stinging/inflammation though :shock:
Glochids seem to not penetrate the gloves, fwiw.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Look at these, please:
http://www.kakteen-haage.de/shop/zubeho ... rsten.html
I tested them, they are not just a gimmick.
Ruth 8)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol I use rolled up paper around the trunk of that huge Opuntia ficus-indica I moved. I wore gloves and first and trust me that was a mistake. I will never wear gloves again, instead I will put paper around it and grab it with gloves then. I still have those gloves with about 75000 glochids in them.

a simple trick I have heard to keep glochids out of the air is to splash them, and the spines with water first.

Lastly, I am still slightly sensitive to glochids from some of my Opuntia. lolz you would think by now I would be immune since I have had around 30000 glochids in me by now :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...and to get rid of glochids or small spines I use liquid wax or fluid all-purpose glue. Let it dry and it takes the spines with it when peeled off. Otherwise I belong to the newspaper-fans, those gloves above I use only in need, when I can't help myself with papers.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.