Can "Ming Thing" have flowers?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
toddo

Post by toddo »

What a trip! I had a crested flower on a Lobivia crest a while back but these take the cake. Nice!
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Can "Ming Thing" have flowers?

Post by WayneByerly »

Unbelievable! Monstrose flowers. I would never have thought to see such a thing. I wish MINE were doing half so well.
DaveW

Re: Can "Ming Thing" have flowers?

Post by DaveW »

Monstrose plants often produce monstrose flowers, if you can get them to flower that is. Of course why we don't see so many monstrose Cerei flowering is that Cerei usually have to be taller and more mature to flower and monstrose ones usually grow slower than normal ones anyway.

However in the Cactaceae monstrose flowers are not all that uncommon, though probably seen more in the smaller globular cacti, sometimes when two flowers fuse together at an early bud stage.

An example on a normal Soehrensia bruchii a flower with two styles and sets of stigma lobes, obviously two flowers from the same areole fused at an early stage. All other flowers on the plant have been normal
double.jpg
double.jpg (98.63 KiB) Viewed 1059 times