trusted plant sources?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
djpotential

trusted plant sources?

Post by djpotential »

I searched the forums for cacti retailers, but didn't come up with much. Are there any sponsored by cactiguide? I have bought cacti form online sites in the past with mixed review. Some with mislabeled or sickly plants. I am looking for some rare stuff like crested specimen but not limited to just that. BTW. I live in Pennsylvania, USA

thanks
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Not sure about sponsored but we do have members with their own nurseries/plants for sale. Coronacactus is a reputable nursery, as well as Craig Fry. I have purchased many plants from the two with absolutely no complaints. Mr Fry has a topic in the grow/trade forum right now of the plants he is offering for sale. And for coronacactus just click his weblink for a listing of his plants.

There are also many other nurseries/growers out there that are not members of the forum but provide excellent plants. Miles2go, Mesa Garden, and acouple of others on ebay. If you are really interested in crested cacti you really have to keep an eye out for them as they get bought up quickly :)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks for the plug, Dustin!

You can browse our website here: http://www.coronacactus.com
I'm on the forums everyday, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

I have always had good luck with anything from TeeDee Cactus in Lakeport, CA. They usually have over 100 different plants on auction and buy it now on E-bay.

Another source that has always supplied me with quality plants is Shoal Creek Succulents (http://www.shoalcreeksucculents.com/Webasyst/shop/).

You can also check out "Out of Africa" (http://out-of-africa-plants.com/2006PlantCatalog.htm). They have very nice plants. All three sites are good about working with those of us that live in areas that experience hard winter weather. They check ahead for best shipping windows to avoid damage to the plants en route and can put in heat packs when required.

Best of Luck
Nathan
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
daiv
Site Admin

Re: trusted plant sources?

Post by daiv »

djpotential wrote:Are there any sponsored by cactiguide?
Funny you should ask this question on the day that I launch the CactiGuide.com NurseryLink feature.

It is in what you might call a "Beta" mode right now. After it gets some real world testing, I'll announce it in a more formal fashion with a full explanation.

In the mean time, you can find listings on the main guide under these species:

Ariocarpus retusus
Astrophytum asterias
A. capricorne
A. myriostigma

Cochemiea poselgeri
Cylindroputnia bigelovii

Disocactus flagelliformis
Echinopsis spachiana
Hylocereus undatus

...among others.

Darryl and Matt are the only suppliers listed right now as they help me work out the bugs (there's always bugs!).

Aside from the individual listings under the guide, there are details about the suppliers on this page: http://www.cactiguide.com/nurseries/

Which is a sub-section under the "Places" link at the top of every page. For each supplier, you can click through to view featured listings and other details.

Have fun with it, but remember it is not finished!!!

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
djpotential

Post by djpotential »

That's GREAT!! thanks
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Looks like a very promising feature! Thanks, Daiv! :D
Jim
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I noticed that Darryl (CoronaCactus) has at least one crested cacti on his site. I only got to the cylindropuntia and figured I had better stop viewing or else I will spend my rent money on cactus!

Sorry Darryl, I need to have a job first! :shock:
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

i finally got a job so i'l probably start buying cactus like crazy
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Lucky for you! (esp to Darryl and others) but also for you to Matt. Good luck with your job. These days its hard finding one around here.

Maybe I should work in a cactus nursery.. LoL
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Waxsimulacra08

Post by Waxsimulacra08 »

I've always had good luck with Corona and Miles to go.

Both have a good selection of very healthy and unique plants at affordable prices.
Please visit my forum The Earth Garden.