Buck & Yvonne on Cactus Blog again

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CelticRose

Buck & Yvonne on Cactus Blog again

Post by CelticRose »

http://www.cactusjungle.com/blog/2010/0 ... y-gardens/

Be sure to click through to the newspaper article. :)
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Awesome!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

The Agave that ate Riverside! Great photo of them on the blog. Great article.

peterb
Zone 9
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

That's really cool! :D I wish I lived close enough to stop by.
Jim
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I wish more people would try and conserve water. In the desert, esp where I live we have some water, but sometimes the aquifier gets low. I hate people who plant grass in the desert. Hello! its the DESERT!

Golf courses are also what take up most of the water out here that isnt used for watering lawns, washing hummers or of course used for household uses(which are ok so long as they arent being used wastefully)

*steps off his soapbox and shuts up*
I am a passionate water nazi!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:I wish more people would try and conserve water. In the desert, esp where I live we have some water, but sometimes the aquifier gets low. I hate people who plant grass in the desert. Hello! its the DESERT!

Golf courses are also what take up most of the water out here that isnt used for watering lawns, washing hummers or of course used for household uses(which are ok so long as they arent being used wastefully)

*steps off his soapbox and shuts up*
I am a passionate water nazi!
i know what you mean i live next to the coast and i know all them golf course's fertilize as much as they can and you know all the run off goes to the ocean and that cant be good

Thats a great garden Buck wish more people would make public gardens
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Peterthecactusguy

Yeah, that is another bad thing about lawns. Ya dont wanna know all the crap we put into the ground when I lived in PA to make the grass look green and kill all the grubs in the ground.

Lawns are such a waste of water and make lots of poison for the planet to deal with :(

as for a public garden, I would do it if there was any interest in seeing a grove of saguaros plus all the other crap I have in my yard. Right now it's mostly cheese weed in the back!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool!
See you there :D
jenni

Post by jenni »

The famouse Hemenways!!!! That is awesome. I cant wait to drop by on Saturday.

I would never give up my lawn. I love the feel of grass on my feet. I always walk around bare foot. Every inch other than lawn is cacti, so I think Im doing enough of a part in conserving water.
I've killed plants.
Peterthecactusguy

I have a natural, I dont water it lawn of weeds. ya can have some of the weed grasses if you want them. They grow esp well during the monsoon and also during the winter rains...
haha I am teasing. I miss walking barefoot in grass, however I would be worried about glochids getting into my feet here!
Tony

Post by Tony »

They deserve the press, their garden is awesome.
8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:I have a natural, I dont water it lawn of weeds. ya can have some of the weed grasses if you want them. They grow esp well during the monsoon and also during the winter rains...
haha I am teasing. I miss walking barefoot in grass, however I would be worried about glochids getting into my feet here!
Get rid of those weeds, especially around your house. They dry up in the summer and create a fire hazard.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Thanks everone! We've got our heads down. This is a big undertaking for us every year.
Buck Hemenway
Peterthecactusguy

Celtic Rose I am working on that.. I got one of the stickers stuck in my finger so I am taking it easy til we get the weedwhacker running again.

Buck,
No problem. I find it interesting when people open up their homes(and gardens esp) to other people. I have always wanted to do that with my yard, but right now I wouldnt get a single visitor because of all the weeds that are growing like crazy! I would go look at your yard, but I am broke and have no money to travel anywhere!
hegar

Post by hegar »

I also want to commend you on making your succulent and cactus plantings available for anyone interested in seeing a beautifully arranged assortment of these desert dwellers.
Our small local cactus club will have a weekend in April when a half dozen or so members will make their gardens accessible. We do charge an admission fee - I believe it was $5.00 for singles and $7.00 for a family - and this is our major way of raising money for the club. We also sell cacti, purchased at Rio Grande Nursery in Socorro, New Mexico and make a little profit there too. Last time I ended up purchasing several of those plants, including an Ariocarpus fissuratus and Obregonia denegrii, plus an Echinocereus knippelianus.
Also, I love to volunteer, spending at least half the day at one of these gardens, collecting the money, giving advice, etc..
My place, however, is neither beautiful enough, nor does it have a very good number of genera of cacti in order to be included in the garden tours.
I would come and take a thorough look at your splendid garden, Buck, but it is too long a distance to cover from here. :)

Harald