Lophophora williamsii

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Andras

Lophophora williamsii

Post by Andras »

Has anyone ever seen a Lophophora williamsii flower like this? I bought this specimen as a 'grown from original Mexican seed from the wild' -without exact field data. Image
A common L. williamsii flower looks like this (at least here, in the European collections):
iann

Post by iann »

Stripes are normal on L. williamsii flowers but yours are very striking. I think the small newly opened flower is also intensifying the colours. Some forms of Lophophora are known for stronger stripes on darker flowers, L. decipiens for example.
--ian
Echinopsis

Post by Echinopsis »

Hello!

I was a long time away, but now I`m back again.
The stripes are normal, I`m also collecting Lophophora`s since 3 years, they are really wonderful plants!

Wishes!
Echinopsis
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Welcome! Nice Lophs! Suppose the big ones are a bit older than 3 years ;).
Still hunting for L. tridentata seeds...
András
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

nice collection i just seen wild one in south texas there quite a few down there a buddy of mine seen one that as big as a cd in the wild the flowers looked like that one maybe not as strong stripes i cant remember next time ill take sum pictures i wish they were leagal to posses here or at least the seeds
you dont look for the loph you let it find you
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Andras

Post by Andras »

I don't understand why the US law is so strict concerning peyote. Cultivated specimens supposed to contain much less alkaloid, than plants in natural habitats, that's why they're inadequate for use as a drug (supposed, but it'd worth an authoritative chemical study).
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

Andras wrote: they're inadequate for use as a drug
I don't think this is true. Specialized nurseries are liscesed breed L. williamsii to sell to Native Ameircan churches specifically for this reason. There's also a huge internet market for the plant, and I don't think its exclusively for collectors :wink:
Beginner
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

theres areas in Texas and new Mexico were they grow it for the Indian church but all the ones i seen pictures of were outside in there natural habitat i know some pick it from the wild too
but i know there are others that are grown in green houses and stuff

there how you can grow payote leagaly in the us but only in 5 states to bad texas isn't

http://www.peyoteway.org/cultivation.php
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Andras

Post by Andras »

WOW :shock: I was misguided then... I heard it from European collectors, but neither they, nor I have "tested" it. Maybe they say this to throw off "shamans", who usually look for peyote in their nurseries.
iann

Post by iann »

Its amazing how much misinformation you can get from a website which stands to make money from you ;)

The controlled substances act allows an exemption for "nondrug use of peyote in bona fide religious ceremonies of the Native American Church". Each state is responsible for defining such exemptions and only about a dozen have them. For example, in Texas you have to be an actual member of the Native American Church and you have to be of native American descent.

The exmeptions apply to use but not to cultivation. Cultivation of Lophophora williamsii for such "non-drug" religious uses requires a permit from the DEA.
--ian
eekawill

Post by eekawill »

Any one know a good place to get them from online i would love some of these!!!!
The best time to plant a cactus is twenty years ago. The second best time is now...
Zone 5a-5b...
(looking for L.Williamsii seeds pm me if you have some to sell...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eekawill

Will B.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Do not by them because they are illegal to grow in the U.S. There are lots of people selling them on e-bay and they use different names like Ariocarpus or Anhalonium, etc.... :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

eekawill wrote:Any one know a good place to get them from online i would love some of these!!!!
You'll know when you find one. :wink:
fracture

Post by fracture »

It has a odd appearance compared to others,skin texture and flower!
feel special! :tongue8:
CACTUSCOOL

Post by CACTUSCOOL »

Hey: I havent had any experience growing lophophora w, all though i have just gotten too plants from a friend, {one has a pup already}
your plants look great,