Lophophora williamsii

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hippyman

Post by hippyman »

iann wrote:Its amazing how much misinformation you can get from a website which stands to make money from you ;)

The controlled substances act allows an exemption for "nondrug use of peyote in bona fide religious ceremonies of the Native American Church". Each state is responsible for defining such exemptions and only about a dozen have them. For example, in Texas you have to be an actual member of the Native American Church and you have to be of native American descent.

The exmeptions apply to use but not to cultivation. Cultivation of Lophophora williamsii for such "non-drug" religious uses requires a permit from the DEA.
Just out of curiousity, how would one get such a permit?
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I don't think you can get a permit in Texas, but then again, I don't know all the laws very well, I just know in Arizona it's illegal to possess a L. williamsii, unless one is a Native American in which case you would only be allowed to have one on the Res.

At least that is what I have heard, don't know how much truth there is to that.

NB this doesn't mean I have or don't have an L. williamsii
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
DannabisAx

Post by DannabisAx »

I wish I could cultivate lopho's. There is a huge stigma around them because of drug culture.

I understand and respect ceremonial usage, but don't know why general people looking to get high would eat such a neat and special cactus when there are many species which have high alkaloid contents and grow much faster.

I am jealous of the nationals of other countries and of american tribelands on this one. These plants are so beautiful and they are indigenous and yet they are persecuted.

Beautiful collection!
vbueno

Post by vbueno »

In the 80s here in Valencia did the phenomenon called 'ruta destroy' or 'ruta del bakalao' consisting spend the weekend in disco to disco under the influence of mescaline.
Here's more information:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruta_Destroy

On the other hand, Lophophora williamsii is easy to grow.

And resist pests. Except the darn grasshoppers that ate this variegata

Vicent