Ferocactus Question

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
MichaelCactus

Ferocactus Question

Post by MichaelCactus »

I have an Unnamed moderately large fero, and a fero Glaucaseans (spelling?) and they're yet to bloom, but i think that they're about right size to bloom, well at least the unnamed one.. anyway onto my question.
I *think* i read somewhere on this forum that they need a dry winter to bloom, but i wanted to plant them in my garden, only thing is, it rains a LOT over the winter. They're currently sitting out in the garden potted, and have been the last 2 season, but havent flowered.
They've been out in the garden so i know they're not gonna rot, but will they flower do you think?
Otherwise once i build my greenhouse, i'll get bigger pots and pot them up into there.

On a side note, anything special to get Echinopsis to bloom?

Im in high doubt i'll get many blooms on anything, really wet winter and not the best available position's for them to go anymore.
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
iann

Post by iann »

Winter doesn't have to be completely dry. Cooler and drier will help the cactus sort its seasons, but mostly its just size plus a good helping of sun and warmth. They might do better in the ground, Ferocactus like to spread their roots and they might be short of nutrients in their pots.
--ian
TimN

Post by TimN »

Here in the Sonoran desert we get winter rain, so I wouldn't worry about keeping most Feros dry in the winter. There may be exceptions but I'm not aware of any...
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

Fero's really, really like to be in the ground. If your climate allows for it, that's where they should be.

In habitat, you see a few that get taken by rot in heavy winter / early spring rain, but the majority make it through just fine.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hmmmm... and what do you do in a climate not allowing to put the Feros into the garden? Do you use flat supersize pots?
My Fero doesn't look too good, so I am curious what he might be missing.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

What species, Ruth?

I would suspect Ian might be able to give some good advice.
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Cheers for that ;)
When it warms up a bit, i'll plant them in the ground, it should do them good. Hopefully they get some good blooms, i love their flowers.
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
iann

Post by iann »

I don't think I know the best way to grow Ferocactus in pots. Mine do OK but I think they could do better. Certainly they need some root room and they are quite thirsty in summer.
--ian