What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

Since I'm still new to this my want list includes anything I don't have :). I have two immediate wants though. A copiapoa and more specifically a schlumbergera opuntioides. I get the impression that copiapoa can be difficult to grow so I'll probably try and wait on that til I know what I'm doing more.
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Well there are 19 or 20 species of Peniocereus and I have only been able to find 8 ](*,).

My penio wish list:
castellae
chiapensis
cuixmalensis
guatamalensis
hirschiatus
lazaro-cardenasii
macdougallii
oaxacensis
occidentalis
tepalcatepecanus
viperinus
zopilotensis
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Dmyerswny wrote: I get the impression that copiapoa can be difficult to grow so I'll probably try and wait on that til I know what I'm doing more.
I may need to "knock on wood" when I say this, but I've found all the Copiapoa species I've grown to be quite "easy" - no special treatment required.

tumamoc - I think it is great that you are going for all the Penios! Hope that you are able to find them eventually.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Scottyzx12

Post by Scottyzx12 »

I would really like to get some Pereskiopsis, just out of interest for how untraditional they are for Cacti, and of course for grafting seedlings.
Im also eager to get some Rebutia, as even though most of them remain small their flowers are stunning!
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Hello old thread!
So I was perusing cactus-art.biz and saw Notocactus scopa v. Inermis, and I'm a fool for little dots of spineless wool.
I add this to my list!
Good luck everyone with your searches.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I like this thread. Trouble with it is that every time I see someone else's wish list, mine just gets bigger!

I have wanted an Agave Blue Glow and/or the variegated form (like Buck's) for a long time, finally found one and ordered it, but the nursery wouldn't ship it to FLORIDA. (I had many choice words when I got that news.)
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

there are 19 or 20 species of Peniocereus and I have only been able to find 8
if there's a way to send it to you without customs taking it, I'll have a p. serpentinus cutting for you in spring.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

StrUktO wrote:
there are 19 or 20 species of Peniocereus and I have only been able to find 8
if there's a way to send it to you without customs taking it, I'll have a p. serpentinus cutting for you in spring.
Did not see that on the list. This species is fairly common in the U.S. so I would guess this is one of the 8. (If he even calls it Peniocereus, which not everybody does.)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

haha, I now see I misread it, I thought that was the list of the ones he already has! :oops:

what's the alternative name for it?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Yeah, I got a couple of P. serpentinus cuttings from Tony about three years ago. But hey StrUktO, I appreciate the offer! I think all of the Penios I am looking for are more tropical, less frost tolerant. Surprisingly, it's very hard to find cacti like that in nurseries around Tucson.
StrUktO wrote:...what's the alternative name for it?
Nyctocereus serpentinus is one alias. And Mesa Garden has Nyctocereus oaxacensis, aka Peniocereus oaxacensis! So thanks for helping me think outside the box. They also have P. tepalcatepecanus. Thats' two down...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

tumamoc wrote: And Mesa Garden has Nyctocereus oaxacensis, aka Peniocereus oaxacensis! So thanks for helping me think outside the box. They also have P. tepalcatepecanus. Thats' two down...
Hey great! Glad that worked out. Have you been checking things like the CSSA seed depot too?
apoplast

Re: What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

Post by apoplast »

I hope this is not viewed as necroposting to this old thread. Seems to me like it could be perennial though.

I suspect like everyone, there are a number of plants I am seeking. But right now, I am trying to find out who the "Owen Miller" is from Cacti Guide who posted photos of their Corryocactus apiciflorus (http://cactiguide.com/piclocation_displ ... number=587). This is a polymorphous species, to the extent that the IUCN was unable to evaluate it, and the form Mr. Miller has is striking!

If anyone knows who this gentleman is, or how to contact him, I would greatly appreciate a PM. Alternatively, if someone is growing this clone from him, I would also love to hear about it. Thanks so much everyone!
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Crassula "Morgan's Beauty" in Canada.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

several Euphorbia species such as E. bupleurifolia, E. susannae, E. ambovombensis, E. decidua ...
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes CITES is the problem restricting international trade to even out pricing, since plants uncommon in one country are fairly easy to come by in others. Just been to the British Cactus Explorers Weekend in Leicester and there were a couple of Lophophora williamsii 4cm diameter on their own roots for £2 each ($2.71, they would have been cheaper in Dollar terms a week ago before Pound went up to $1.35!). They were just spares from a amateur who raised them from seed. That is why we in the UK can't understand collectors paying exorbitant prices for plants you can raise in 4-5 years to that size from seed yourself. L. williamsii, since we in the UK are cactus collectors not chewers, is not as expensive over here as are the other Lophophora species. Probably L. alberto-vojtechii being the smallest and dearest and only usually offered by Continental dealers so far, a fully mature plant in habitat being only one inch (2.5cm) diameter.

The coin is 2cm diameter.
L-alberto-vojtechii.jpg
L-alberto-vojtechii.jpg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
I was told prices have gone up at ELK this year since the dealers have now realised they can advertise them on EBAY, claiming they are rare and somebody who does not know how rare or even if common will pay stupid inflated prices to buy them. I suppose that will continue on EBAY until all dealers and collectors start to put their sales plants on it and the market becomes saturated and the bottom falls out of it.

I have bought in the past from one UK dealer who had two different prices for plants for sales at Cactus Marts and shows where knowledgeable collectors go, to those he charges to the less knowledgeable on EBAY. The prices on EBAY were far greater than what the knowledgeable would pay for the plants from him, or persons who simply took the trouble to Google the nurserymen's catalogue links online. There are of course some plants hard to raise from seed on EBAY, or seldom offered on their own roots, but they are only a few species.

Lophophora's are easy to grow from seed, but for people who must have ready grown plants obviously nurserymen in countries where they are illegal will not risk growing them even if the market is there since it would prejudice their other business if they got prosecuted. You need either to grow them from seed yourself, or find a friend who is a good seed raiser.

I grew my A. hintonii seed and Echinocereus viridiflorus v. canus from seed and in many cases by the time you find a plant ready grown you could have raised a couple of dozen equal size yourself from seed at much less cost. I suppose whether you are a seed raiser or not depends on those you associate with. A friend has just moved from our local branch of the BCSS where only a few raise from seed to another branch up north where virtually all their members raise from seed, therefore has started to do more seed raising himself.

The one advantage is that far more species are available as seed than are from nurserymen who only grow the quickest growing and most profitable plants, because after all they are in business to make money or go bankrupt. They often grow the plants that will sell best to the general public, claiming the plants collectors are interested in take too long and so are not a commercial proposition to grow.