What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DWDogwood

What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

Post by DWDogwood »

I've been lucky lately and crossed a lot of plants off of my want list: Jasminocereus, Brachycereus, Neodawsonia, Pierrebraunia.

I think running across Ritterocereus hystrix would be nice.
Also Gymnanthocereus chlorocarpus.

It would be interesting to see what others are looking for, or have recently found that was a long road in finding. Post a picture.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I would like to find pretty much everything you just listed plus just about everythng else that stays small and compact thats not already found.
I have started growing many from seed but Im not really counting them untill they are a few years old and at least recognisable. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

euphorbia grandicornis is a hard one to find. i recently went on a trip to arizona to see my daughter in chandler and i looked in several nurseries and places like home depot but came up with nothing. i did however manage to get 18 cacti into my luggage and a box. i just wrapped them in newspaper and put them in my carry-on on the airplane.
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

were the Jasminocereus, and Brachycereus expensive and hard to find.?I thought they were pretty cool.
Addicted to crackti !
peterb

Post by peterb »

plants are funny that way...it seems there's always something one is hoping to be able to grow. Once I get some plants of a certain thing I've been looking for, something else eventually crops up (no pun intended). Peniocereus other than greggii can be hard to find for sale. Pediocactus peeblesianus menzelii and maia would be cool to have around. I recently got some seeds from MG for Neolloydia matahualensis, looking forward to trying that. It really does seem endless, though, this quest for certain plants.

peterb
Zone 9
vlani

Post by vlani »

Opuntia albiflora? :)
C And D

Post by C And D »

Funny, I haven't even heard of Dogwoods plants before.

Here's a couple for me, Echinocereus davisii v. brevaspina, Lobivia bonneae

I'd like to have a couple nice big flowering Yavia, Digi. caput madusae, clumped Muiria, Turbinicarpus hoferi. All my ones are small.

I've been lucky in getting most of what I wanted over the years, it takes time, but be patient
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

My problem is that I want plants from so many different genera. Many are available for purchase but I have to prioritize each spring and whittle my long lists down to a few choices. This means many get pushed back again and again. But there is always next season. :D
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Like many others it is hard to settle with just one. I tend to get stuck on getting a certain cactus, but once I get it I then move on to wanting different. Kinda never settles down. There is only one that I have been wanting for some time now and just cant find one. I probably never will be able to obtain one cause of the legal system here in the US, so I have come to the realization that It just probably wont happen, and have stopped the search for now. This plant is a non grafted seed grown Lophophora williamsii, just for the rarity of it.
peter

Post by peter »

Sometimes I have more fun with a Gymnocalycium or Echinopsis from the supermarket as a rare plant.
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

I think you can probably find ALMOST anything,but the problem is getting it to the size you want,or maybe it has to be grafted mostly to grow,or you may have to wait years for it to become what you want,like craig and denise.Dustin,you would be surprised how many have Loph . williamsii.They are self fertile and seed is easy to come by.The other loph seeds sometimes arent as easy to find ,and my son wants most of them.We need diffusa and fricii,which we can buy,but his fav is koehresii,and now jordaiania?The other son would be thrilled to just get a 18 inch tall or so cactus that is shaped like a saguaro.Any color or spinage.I think we can get pretty much any plant we want,but money is a factor for my family,as is with most people nowadays.I wish everyone luck(and lotsa money!)
Addicted to crackti !
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Kevin there are many lucky ones who have them. Finding someone who will part with one is rather difficult. I have burnt through 1000 lw seeds already (germ rate of 45%), and none have made it pass the begining stage. I do not have seed growing skills yet. What I was looking for is the plant, not a big one just a small one past the seedling stage. I do have L. fricii, L. koehresii, and many L.W. var. caespitosa's in my collection. Was just wanting a single Williamsii.
cruaux

Post by cruaux »

I was going to say Dorstenia gigas, but now I have one. Then next up were the members of Genus Pelecyphora, but I have germination of seeds of those, so I'll have them eventually. Same with Aztekium hintonii.

So for now, the species that are on my lust list and are a little hard to find (around here anyway) are Aztekium ritteri and Geohintonia mexicana. And over in the non-cactus succulents it would be some of the Cyphostemma species and Pseudolithos.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

Echinopsis cyanthus or Epiphyllum cyanthus :wink:
/Christer
iann

Post by iann »

I was going to suggest that L. williamsii seed is fairly easy to obtain even though the plant is illegal in the US, and not hard to grow. However it seems like it may be a little too hard to grow :shock:

Like others, there isn't anything I'm desperately searching for. That's one of the benefits of growing from seed even if I don't have large specimens of everything.

New Lithops forms will always be welcome as I come across them, but I have every species and most subspecies and varieties. I'll pick up or grow from seed some more own-root Pediocactus, likely to be a perpetual job since they are not easy. I do fancy Echinocereus viridiflorus var canus and Austrocylindripuntia malyanus on its own roots, I'm sure I'll get both sooner or later even if I have to grow them myself.

Probably the single plant I would most be looking for is not a Lithops, not even a cactus or mesemb, but Anacampseros comptonii. Perhaps because I was sent seed that turned out to be something else, I really want this now but plants are almost never for sale and even seed is very rare. Take a look:
http://www.pbase.com/mamman/image/8205984

I've seen one in the flesh but they're supposed to be quite tricky.
--ian