What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Re: What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

Post by DaveW »

Re Corryocactus apiciflorus. I presume you PM'd the person who posted it on the forum? There are a few on the French site and I believe Phillip Cormon, whose talks in the UK I have attended, posted a similar one. The best way is to join the site and then PM the poster for information since most understand English even if we are bad at other languages.

https://www.cactuspro.com/forum/read.ph ... 786,612786
apoplast

Post by apoplast »

Thanks Dave! Hadn't seen that forum.
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.
keith

Post by keith »

this plant lobivia something maybe rebutioides ? I think its a heirloom cactus now its so old and out of style.

used to have one and found this picture on this website. anyone got one? stem cutting ? trade or sell whatever works.
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As you say Keith it is not only the supposed rare plants that are now hard to locate where you live, but also those that have gone out of fashion for being "too common".

Many of the old unfashionable plants you can now usually only get easily as seed, since nurserymen stop propagating them because everybody wants the latest novelty. The only other source is usually a collector with an old collection who still has it left.

I have just had to beg an offset of Mammillaria saboae from a friend the other side of the UK since all my local cactophile friends no longer had it either. We had all the other supposedly more uncommon varieties and forms (haudeana, goldii and rockzekii) but had all lost the old original type plant. My plant lost it's roots and had dried up before I noticed it and I did not manage to save any offsets. I agree with you some of the old plants are still some of the most attractive.

Here it was at it's best.
Mammillaria saboae.jpg
Mammillaria saboae.jpg (70.56 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Another plant I would not want to be without is Chamaecereus silvestrii, or Echinopsis chamaecereus if you prefer. Very common but still attractive in bloom.
Cactisucc

Post by Cactisucc »

Maybe I haven’t searched hard enough but I really want an Ariocarpus Kotschoubeyanus v Macdowellii (El Pilar).

I know seed is available on Mesagarden but obviously it can’t be sent to Europe. I love Arios a lot but this one is extra special for me, not only for how it looks but because where I live (Zaragoza, Spain) El Pilar is a huge symbol of the city.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

It can be send to Europe, but you probably need to pay for a certificate for those species with marked with an #.
Other option: keep your eyes on the Czech seed seller seed lists. This one might have what you want: http://www.kaktusynechvil.wz.cz
It has just been updated. Cactus Hobby Brno will be updated soon, and there are more than offer a lot of US or Mexican species.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

I was very happy to get a Backebergia and several Jasminocereus this year! Still looking for many of the rare Brazilian columnars.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:It can be send to Europe, but you probably need to pay for a certificate for those species with marked with an #.
Other option: keep your eyes on the Czech seed seller seed lists. This one might have what you want: http://www.kaktusynechvil.wz.cz
It has just been updated. Cactus Hobby Brno will be updated soon, and there are more than offer a lot of US or Mexican species.
Yep, it is on here: http://kaktusynechvil.wz.cz/semena_podzim_2017.html
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Looking for Mammillaria perezdelarosae seeds from a reputable seller.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

I've been trying to find an Uebelmannia pectinifera.
7george

Post by 7george »

I have a list of plants I wish to have even have no sunny spots at my windowsills left for new plants. Among these are: Turbinicarpus alonsoi, Ferocactus fordii, Escobaria hesteri, Weingartia neumanniana, Maihueniopsis subterranea and some others. There is a list of plants I lost from the collection during the years. If I find some of those I will have to to get rid of some less loved ones to reduce their number somehow.

Sometimes I think that the task of keeping of hundreds of plants from different climates and habitats is almost unachievable and I better concentrate on the care of those well growing in my conditions.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Ron43 wrote:Looking for Mammillaria perezdelarosae seeds from a reputable seller.
gerardo.cz has them. I sent them mail 2 weeks ago, still no reply.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Ron43 wrote:Looking for Mammillaria perezdelarosae seeds from a reputable seller.
See the 'Updated seed list' thread. They are easy to find in the list of the Czech sellers.
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Fatich wrote:
gerardo.cz has them. I sent them mail 2 weeks ago, still no reply.
Thank you.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Czech seed suppliers often take their time, but the quality is typically great, and so are the prices.