Since April

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kamos

Re: Since April

Post by Kamos »

Thanks for the info ,cactushobbyman! I have them located near a west fence where they get sun until about 12 -1 .
I wish I could go to the cactus sale this weekend in Clovis, ...I'll be working. :( Anyway, I've already gone way over the cactus budget the last two weeks! :lol:
Neal
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Things are slowing down among the potted cacti as the cold-hardy garden starts to show off. (I have a post under 'Outdoor Cacti'.) Some of the ones here are the same as above in previous posts, but their flowering season is long it seems. There are a couple that bloomed for the first time.
The pink Epi hybrid must have had a series of 10 or so flowers this year, one opening every two or three days
DSC06290.JPG
DSC06290.JPG (48.12 KiB) Viewed 777 times
My third Epi hybrid to open--this one for the first time in the seven or so years I've had it--is very similar to the second one (previously posted), but appears to have more light violet color when newly open. The outer petals are a deep orange, which is also the midstripe in the mature flower. From a distance, it has more of a reddish color overall.
DSC06292.JPG
DSC06292.JPG (48.69 KiB) Viewed 777 times
DSC06295.JPG
DSC06295.JPG (70.64 KiB) Viewed 777 times
DSC06299.JPG
DSC06299.JPG (107.96 KiB) Viewed 777 times
The G. baldianum just keeps on going
DSC06302.JPG
DSC06302.JPG (45.56 KiB) Viewed 777 times
A new one for me this year is a Echinocer. pulchellus weinbergii
DSC06301.JPG
DSC06301.JPG (43.94 KiB) Viewed 777 times
The Echinop. leucantha (melanopotamica) has been very stingy with its flowers, giving me only two in about four years. It's a night bloomer, and since the flower hadn't yet faded I also took a photo the next morning
DSC06327.JPG
DSC06327.JPG (92.54 KiB) Viewed 777 times
DSC06331.JPG
DSC06331.JPG (44.63 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Finally, the P. rubellihamata flowered nicely for about a month
DSC06351.JPG
DSC06351.JPG (65.7 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
thomas

Post by thomas »

Beautiful. I just picked up a gymno baldianum today and hope its flowers are as beautiful as yours. Its fairly small so probably won't be until next year that it even comes close.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

thomas wrote:Beautiful. I just picked up a gymno baldianum today and hope its flowers are as beautiful as yours. Its fairly small so probably won't be until next year that it even comes close.
You might be surprised. Given the right conditions, they can flower fairly young. They should be potted in a VERY loose, fast draining medium, given generous waterings when the soil has dried completely and be placed where they can receive strong sun except in the hottest summer hours, when they can be given some light shade. But they need strong sun to produce flowers freely. I found that mine does much better on the east side of the greenhouse where it gets practically unfiltered morning sun but progressively more shade as the sun moves west. A hour or two of late afternoon sun may be helpful. Keep us posted with your progress.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!