Favorite Cactus Aesthetics

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TexasPricklyPiglet

Favorite Cactus Aesthetics

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Hello all. I'm not sure if there is a thread like this already, but I hope it's okay if I start a new discussion on the subject if there is. I like to hear about everyone's stories, and experiences that led them to loving cacti, but I also like to hear everyone's opinions on what kind of cactus form (I think it is also called a habit), that they are most attracted to. It's strange and interesting to hear how varied our preferences can be. For instance, I know that many people like columnar cacti, but I love globose cacti the best. I also love spines that are colored in interesting ways. For instance, I have love the look of the Mammillaria spinosissima. As for flowers, I like the crown look that some of the Mammillaria cacti sport. It reminds me of the flower head bands that we wear during the spring for fiesta (part of my Mexican heritage). What are your thoughts? I'd be very interested to hear them. :)
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
adetheproducer

Re: Favorite Cactus Aesthetics

Post by adetheproducer »

Lophophora are my favorite, they are just so weird full up with psychedelic antibiotic antifreeze. All hairy with new heads popping out everywhere. Very variable almost to the point of having personalities, all of mine are very different from each other they react differently to light, heat water and although they are slow growers they manage to be different everyday, fantastic plants. Also they have all this history and power to alter reality very important plant for humans.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

naturaly I am going to plug for Gymnocalycium. I have always liked the smooth simplicity of their bodies. From Glaucous blue to Dark Green, Brown , Red and all the greens in between.

The spination and bodies are so distinctive and simple that most of the time, if you have the knowledge. plants from this Genus are so easily identified.

Also the plants are super reliable , you may have some of these plants for many years. I have had a G. Ritterianum since 1999 that I grew from seed. And a G. Octotereni scoparium for just as long. A G. Quehlianum that I bought for 20P at a Rumble Sale well over 10 years ago. It grew old until one season it became corky at the base an lost it's vigour. I chopped a large section of the top of the plant off and repotted it in a Terracotta pot. And it's all kicked off again with this plant. So healthy and generous with flowers.

Talk about flowers. I think Gymnocalycium's have some of the prettiest yet simple flowers in the Cactacae kingdom .

But recently I have warmed to Thelocacti. But I won't be filling my personal collection with these

=^-^=
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TexasPricklyPiglet

adetheproducer wrote:Lophophora are my favorite, they are just so weird full up with psychedelic antibiotic antifreeze. All hairy with new heads popping out everywhere. Very variable almost to the point of having personalities, all of mine are very different from each other they react differently to light, heat water and although they are slow growers they manage to be different everyday, fantastic plants. Also they have all this history and power to alter reality very important plant for humans.
Oh yes, peyote! There are some wild ones back home. They are very important plants, especially for the religious purposes they serve for some. Is there a thread that you can direct me to so that I can see pictures of your beloved Lophophoras? :D
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:naturaly I am going to plug for Gymnocalycium. I have always liked the smooth simplicity of their bodies. From Glaucous blue to Dark Green, Brown , Red and all the greens in between.

The spination and bodies are so distinctive and simple that most of the time, if you have the knowledge. plants from this Genus are so easily identified.

Also the plants are super reliable , you may have some of these plants for many years. I have had a G. Ritterianum since 1999 that I grew from seed. And a G. Octotereni scoparium for lost as long. A G. Quehlianum that I bought for 20P at a Rumble Sale well over 10 years ago. It grew old until one season it became corky at the base an lost it's vigour. I chopped a large section of the top of the plant off and repotted it in a Terracotta pot. And it's all kicked off again with this plant. So healthy ndgenerous with flowers.

Talk about flowers. I think Gymnocalycium's have some of the prettiest yet simple flowers in the Cactacae kingdom .

But recently I have warmed to Thelocacti. But I won't be filling my personal collection with these

=^-^=
Yes, the are very wonderful cacti. I don't own any myself, nor do I own a Lophophora. On they Gymnos I have to say that I find their long flower stalks (is this the correct term?) to be very interesting looking. I wish that I could see everyone's collections in person. Personally, I plan on filling my personal collection with Turbinicarpus specimens.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
Eutow_Intermedium

Gymnocalycium , long flower stalks ?

I'm not sure about that.

As far as the Asthetics of Turbinicarpus go. It will have to be that they are compact and jewel like. Their wool , dark curved central spines and the profusion of repeating flowers throughout the season.

I have small gathering of Turbs in my own Stock collection.

Echinopsis and it's many hybrids Hybrids are the ones with the Funnel like flower stalks, that open wide also in a multitude of colours.

I have various echinopsis . The specie plants can have interesting bodies and spination , but unfortunately a lot of the Echinopsis hybrids, really look a lot similar to each other in their juvenile plant form. It seems that Genus has gone a bit crazy. New hybrids come out and it's very much the same as Pokemon. If you so wish to catch them all.

I have had various Echinopsis hybrids over the years, and it's bit of tire to wait for them to get to a good enough age to finally bloom. The only one I managed to get to flower before I lost it and I don't now remember how. Was Echinopsis ( spring blush )

I have had various Shick Hybrids for several years now and they're all reluctant to flower.

Yet easier type plants like Echinopsis Eyreisii, Oxygona, Subdenudata and the similar to the later Tufty. Always flower reliably.

Agree or disagree with me if you think Echinopsis have any aesthetic quality.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:
adetheproducer wrote:Lophophora are my favorite, they are just so weird full up with psychedelic antibiotic antifreeze. All hairy with new heads popping out everywhere. Very variable almost to the point of having personalities, all of mine are very different from each other they react differently to light, heat water and although they are slow growers they manage to be different everyday, fantastic plants. Also they have all this history and power to alter reality very important plant for humans.
Oh yes, peyote! There are some wild ones back home. They are very important plants, especially for the religious purposes they serve for some. Is there a thread that you can direct me to so that I can see pictures of your beloved Lophophoras? :D

Here you go

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I like small, weird cacti without a lot of spines for the most part. I'm fond of Astrophytums and am thrilled that I just recently got a hold of A. caput-medusae. Colored cacti are another favorite, things like Eriosyce occulta, Copiapoa hypogaea, or Gymnocalycium ragonesi. Now that I have a house I can landscape I'm going to get some bigger cacti, but the little oddballs will always be my favorite.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I have to pick just one kind of aesthetic? :wink: Well I collect cacti mostly for spines and the stem colour, which is why I mostly collect Eriosyce. They've got it all: colourful bodies, incredible spines and great flowers to boot. :) Generally the stronger the spines, the more I like a plant, but I still like spineless cacti like Loph's and Ario's. I also have a soft spot for oddities like Peniocereus, Pterocactus and countless others. And on top of that, if I've heard it's difficult to grow, I'm automatically drawn to it as I love a good challenge.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
TexasPricklyPiglet

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:Gymnocalycium , long flower stalks ?

I'm not sure about that.

As far as the Asthetics of Turbinicarpus go. It will have to be that they are compact and jewel like. Their wool , dark curved central spines and the profusion of repeating flowers throughout the season.

I have small gathering of Turbs in my own Stock collection.

Echinopsis and it's many hybrids Hybrids are the ones with the Funnel like flower stalks, that open wide also in a multitude of colours.

I have various echinopsis . The specie plants can have interesting bodies and spination , but unfortunately a lot of the Echinopsis hybrids, really look a lot similar to each other in their juvenile plant form. It seems that Genus has gone a bit crazy. New hybrids come out and it's very much the same as Pokemon. If you so wish to catch them all.

I have had various Echinopsis hybrids over the years, and it's bit of tire to wait for them to get to a good enough age to finally bloom. The only one I managed to get to flower before I lost it and I don't now remember how. Was Echinopsis ( spring blush )

I have had various Shick Hybrids for several years now and they're all reluctant to flower.

Yet easier type plants like Echinopsis Eyreisii, Oxygona, Subdenudata and the similar to the later Tufty. Always flower reliably.

Agree or disagree with me if you think Echinopsis have any aesthetic quality.
:oops: lol Yes, that's it, echinopsis are the ones that I got confused with. Yes, it is a very varied genus. I see a lot of cacti identified as E. Oxygona in the ID forum. When I look at the pictures of all of the different types, I ask myself, "How are all of these in the same genus?!" They just look so unalike sometimes.

In my humble opinion, I do feel like all cacti have some aesthetic quality. I do think that they have very nice flowers (and stalks), also Echinopsis thelegona is one of my favorite cacti (because it looks so eerie and unusual). I just don't feel that I'd be trying to collect many Echinopsis in the future. I wouldn't mind a small section of Gymnos in my collection though! :)
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

adetheproducer wrote:

Here you go

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, I see what you mean, they kind of do have their own little personalities don't they? Has the cat scratching thing every happened again? I just have this hilarious picture in my head of a cat scratching up a little defenseless cactus, even though it is tragic :(
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

Saxicola wrote:I like small, weird cacti without a lot of spines for the most part. I'm fond of Astrophytums and am thrilled that I just recently got a hold of A. caput-medusae. Colored cacti are another favorite, things like Eriosyce occulta, Copiapoa hypogaea, or Gymnocalycium ragonesi. Now that I have a house I can landscape I'm going to get some bigger cacti, but the little oddballs will always be my favorite.
I'm kind of partial to the small little jewels myself. I like them so much. Also, this is the first time that I had ever heard of A. caput-medusae. What a curiosity! It is a looker though. Is that woolly matter on the areoles irritating at all? Or is it just sort of soft?
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

CactusFanDan wrote:I have to pick just one kind of aesthetic? :wink: Well I collect cacti mostly for spines and the stem colour, which is why I mostly collect Eriosyce. They've got it all: colourful bodies, incredible spines and great flowers to boot. :) Generally the stronger the spines, the more I like a plant, but I still like spineless cacti like Loph's and Ario's. I also have a soft spot for oddities like Peniocereus, Pterocactus and countless others. And on top of that, if I've heard it's difficult to grow, I'm automatically drawn to it as I love a good challenge.
I could see why you'd like Eriosyce for the spines. E. Andreaeana looks like it would be a must have for spine lovers. I myself collect for flowers I think, and also for form factor. I am drawn to the nice little compact cacti that I can put into nice little decorative pots on my patio. I absolutely love that. I am also wanting an Astrophytum myriostigma. I think the aesthetics of that cactus are amazing. Something about it is just so attractive.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Saxicola wrote:I like small, weird cacti without a lot of spines for the most part. I'm fond of Astrophytums and am thrilled that I just recently got a hold of A. caput-medusae. Colored cacti are another favorite, things like Eriosyce occulta, Copiapoa hypogaea, or Gymnocalycium ragonesi. Now that I have a house I can landscape I'm going to get some bigger cacti, but the little oddballs will always be my favorite.
I'm kind of partial to the small little jewels myself. I like them so much. Also, this is the first time that I had ever heard of A. caput-medusae. What a curiosity! It is a looker though. Is that woolly matter on the areoles irritating at all? Or is it just sort of soft?
All Astrophytums have that wooly hair on them (some thicker than others). It isn't spiny or irritating at all, just soft and felty. I'm pretty sure the purpose of it is to deflect some of the sun and to help the plants reduce water loss.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Eutow_Intermedium

Ok I think I might have to take back a tiny smidgen of what i said back.

I just had my small GC bought Echinopsis ( Tufty ) bloom last night, and strangely enough it has flowered more like Setiechinopsis Mirabilis. Have to say i'm confused. Tips of the petals were curved and made for an interesting bud when opening. The petals are very fine and folded in half down the middle.

If the petals should open properly and widen it may look like a normal Echinopsis ( tufty ) flower.

But for now , with the typical body and the slightly unusual flower, i'd say this plant has a small amount of Aesthetic quality.

@ Saxicola

" Word ! "