Warm Cacti

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Saguaro123

Warm Cacti

Post by Saguaro123 »

Saguaros at the entrance of the McCarren Airport at Las Vegas. The people maintaining the gardens don't seem to know much about cacti. Temps weren't even below freezing.
Alex_AZ

Post by Alex_AZ »

:D :D nice coats, but not necessary, were they newly transplanted?

Alex
TimN

Post by TimN »

People who cover cacti find it easiest to cover them at the first sign of frost and uncover when there is no sign of frost.

I don't understand it myself. These covers at least look like they will let filtered light through. Most of the time what I see in AZ is styrofoam cups on the end of each branch for weeks/months on end.

Of course it's worse when you are attempting to grow a saguaro in a place where they don't occur naturally.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
vlani

Post by vlani »

I'd say those people know perfectly well what they are doing. Saguaros have been there for at least 10 years and are in perfect health
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I was impressed by the plantings around the Airport there and amazed at the Saguaros. I have to agree with vlani on this one. They are doing well. Certainly would be easy to cover them for the winter than to cover and uncover them all winter long.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

That's pretty amazing. They grow in landscapes all over the Phoenix area very successfully, without covering. The airport has too much money to spend. Probably had a large budget for maintenance and can't spend it.
Buck Hemenway
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Buck Hemenway wrote:That's pretty amazing. They grow in landscapes all over the Phoenix area very successfully, without covering.
And that's my point. The climate at Las Vegas isn't that much different than Phoenix and Saguaros can take some frost.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Actually, I thnk that Las Vegas is much colder than Phoenix.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Perhaps, but I think the weather is different enough in Vegas to make a difference. It seems winter temps. are an average 9 or 10 F colder in LV. Also, there are more extreme (colder) temperature spikes and more frequent dips below freezing each year.

There is a notable lack of Saguaros growing around Las Vegas, while in Phoenix, they occur naturally.

Considering the expense and difficulty of establishing such large plants, I'd bet it is cheaper to cover them every year than to risk losing them by relying on the weather man. :dontknow:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

They really look pathetic, but then I wouldn't want to be the person in care of them if they did get hit with a hard freeze, and had to explain the major damage or even their possible demise. :( Maybe, they could string them with Christmas Tree lights on them . . . 'tis the season. :) Tony
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

Curious.

The climates are very similar, but it does get colder in Vegas. Their all-time record low is 8 F. compared to our record low of 17 F. A night like that is probably what they're afraid of.

Phoenix summers can actually be a little harsh even for Saguaros though. A fair amount of the specimans at the Tovrea mansion died during the many years of neglect. Too much heat/Not enough precipitation.

Phoenix is at ~1100 ft. Those in and around Tucson,(~2600 ft.) and on the hills surrounding the Phoenix metro area where the temps are cooler have an easier time than their counterparts on the Valley floor and it really shows.