Thelocactus Setispinus in bloom

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
TexasPricklyPiglet

Thelocactus Setispinus in bloom

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Hello everyone. As you can see, I have the same picture of my Thelocactus Setispinus in bloom. It was just gorgeous.
Attachments
ThelocactusSetispinus.jpg
ThelocactusSetispinus.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 5957 times
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Thelocactus Setispinus in bloom

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Very nice indeed. I used to know them as Hamatocactus Setispinus, but I have been seeing them as Thelocactus a lot more recently.

I'm currently growing some of these from seed meself .

=^-^=
TexasPricklyPiglet

Thank you! It will be very rewarding I'm sure. I actually bought this cactus from a big gardening store and it had a straw flower on it. I'm happy to say though that I was able to remove it without any damage at all. It bloomed some while later wit actual flowers and it was just beautiful. Anyway, it was labeled as Hamatocactus Hamatacanthus, but I know that it is not because of the color of the center of the flower.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
Eutow_Intermedium

Yes I have known to see this plant as both Hamatocactus hamatacanthus or either Hamatocactusus Setispinus.

Recently I bought two more larger Thelocactus at an silent auction. T. Hexaedrophorus and T. Rinconensis

These will go with my other Thelo's Tulensis, Buekii, Matudae and Bicolor. It's strange because I have been a collector of Cacti since 1993 and in all my collecting history , I would never have chosen Thelocactus, I didn't really know what they are, not at all familiar with them untill two years ago.

Until I bought the first four at a BCSS branch meeting two years ago. I have since grown to like them as they have fantastic flowers. And I always used to be interested in Gymnoclaycium's back in the day .

I also bought a packet of three plants in a Home store earlier this year . One of which was a Thelocactus Bicolor ( small ) of which was quite a result indeed. I think the other two were a Cleistocctus strausii and a Mammilaria of some sorts.

So my collection has a spine of elder Thelocacti on the top shelf . Not something that I could ever have predicted.

Good luck with your plant by the way.

=^_^=
TexasPricklyPiglet

I'm not really familiar with them either, I just think that they look quite nice and I agree, they do have very nice flowers. I really do like T. Bicolor, I hope to have one of my own someday. It really is a beautiful plant.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
Eutow_Intermedium

Oh yes =^-^=

*nods*

TexasPricklyPiglet

Oh my! That is so very beautiful. I told myself that I would not buy anymore seeds as I have a few in on their way to me in the mail. I think I might have to grow me on of these. Thank you for posting this picture Eutow_Intermedium.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3