here's a few picture's from MY addiction...umm..collection.

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
KittieKAT

Re: here's a few picture's from MY addiction...umm..collecti

Post by KittieKAT »

Last one for now, this is my clippings section
Attachments
CAM01562-1.jpg
CAM01562-1.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 8317 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Thanks for viewing and commenting, Xoo KittieKAT
Samee

Post by Samee »

Very nice collection. The clippings section shows that your plants are doing well.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Cool collection.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Thank you, since most of my collection was saved outta stores and nurseries garbage cans and discount racks it's good to see that they are All THRIVING and healthy, thanks for the comments and complement . =^··^=
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Quite a few of my plants are the same. I am always on the look out for Rescue plants that I can nurse back to health. I got some plants from a Garden Party at local Old peoples home last year. The house next door to where my GF is lodging. Her Elderly neighbour died earlier in the spring 2013.

They completely gutted the house, threw Old Barbara's possessions out of the windows and down the stairs I was told , as she had no other family. Disgusting how people treat elders nowadays.

Linda Moon went next door and came back with a momento to her late neighbour , a 30 yr old plus Chamaecereus Silvestrii.

The whole place was a mess. The front garden was full of junk facing the Road , and Kim and I went round the back to find it resembling a war zone , it was hard not to fall over =^~^=

The only time we had available was shortly before the sun went down and I had a look in Barbara Cook's greenhouse ( R. I. P ) to find a scene of serious Neglect on the Gravel trays. This woman or her late husband had obviously taken their plants quite seriously in the past.

I managed to rescue a small plant of Aloe Variegata, there was actually two in the pot. Two small Crassula Ovata ( money plant ) . These are doing well now. A Schlumbergera ( Xmas/ Thanks giving cactus ) that has recovered somewhat, but still has an untidy and irregular look about it.
A Hatiora ( Easter Cactus ) That was so old and neglected it resembled little more than a stump that had been watered with tap water since the day it was first planted , and there was white limescale all round the top of the pot.

There was also a couple of Eppithphyllm <-- if thats how you spell it. One died some time back :( it was to far gone.

All around I saw dead Opuntia's reduced to little more than skeletons.

Then in one extreme corner I found a round pot with a four headed grey Lithops in it and I was blown away. It was in perfect condition :o

I could see how this plant had survived, as there was some tiny gaps in the glass above and the infrequent rain water that had percolated in from outside had been the only thing that kept it alive.

Then not long after the GF had to stop herself from screaming out when in another smaller Greenhouse that was open and full of empty pots and seed trays, she found a big old Echinopsis Spachianus in the bottom corner , that again looked to be round 20 or 30 years old , with a main stem and three basal offsets of which will not be removed..

All the Barbara Cook plants that were rescued, I had her name written onto the new labels in respect of her passing and her memory.

If the day should come when the Echinopsis Spachiana flowers , it will mean so much to think of this old woman I didn't even know . The large white flower will remind Linda Moon and myself of her gift to us of this rescue cactus and it's link to her in life.

The remaining Epithphyllm spent some time along with the Hatiora in the Conservatory at Nash's Garden recovering. They are now both in my gaff looking much better. The hatiora has blessed me with a singe Red/Orange bloom this season.

The Eppithyllm had a stem and two small branches. This recovered excellently and this season has produced no less than four new branches of which are still growing now. It's going to be a few years yet before it flowers, but I can't wait to see what colour Barbara Cook's Eppy cactus will be .

I took lots and lots of cuttings off of the Chamaecereus Silvestrii that Linda Moon took on and using the Allotment Greenhouse, I must have had 25 to 30 vigourous cuttings from this possibly 30 year old plant. Some of the cuttings of which are their own clumps in their own right now have even produced their own blooms.

Eventualy I swapped the old original plant for one of the new strong baby plants with Linda.

Rescue plants are the best. You get to put all your love into them and watch them rise up out of neglect and thrive once again.

I also received my first donated plant last year from a friend. A 30 odd year old plant of Echinopsis Eyreisii. I also took some better pups off this and started them off in the Conservatory at Nash's Garden. I eventually gave one of the new happy cuttings back to the woman that gave me the plant in the beginning. Plus I have young plants of my own.

The original plant looking a bit tidier has improved and some stems are greener and growing , but the original main stem is still very yellow and wrinkled and I don't think it will recover from it's great age. There are small signs of tiny grey wooly flower buds , but the plant has some serious moving of it's arse to do if it wants to bloom this season.

=^-^=

Eutow_Int*
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea i can't help but save the underdogs of the plant world, i feel better when they thrive

I have a lithop that i had saved year's ago, one of them was getting squishy so i was worried it wasn't gonna make it, i went to see if it was getting squishy-er and the top of the lithop fell off revealing a baby lithop pushing outta the old one...but it never actually split... i hope the little guy will make it i feel like a big idiot accidentally knocking the old head off so it's not getting the nutrients from the old leaves :-( still a little soon to tell what will happen but i got my fingers crossed cause i just love this little guy...btw the other side is still thriving and no sign of splitting yet? It has 4 leaves(??) It's been like that for years...my little mutant
Attachments
1404849352904.jpg
1404849352904.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
TexasPricklyPiglet

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Wow, you have so many plants! They all look great. That's amazing! :D
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Thank you, yes i sure do have a lot! I think i got anywhere from 100-200 including clippings that are planting up
Attachments
Opened last night
Opened last night
CAM01597.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Looks beautiful today!
Looks beautiful today!
CAM01598.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Sunny afternoon, about to get dark.
Here is a few pics of my collection after the huge collection re-pot that's been eating my time away, what do yah think! If my camera was bigger and my collection smaller I'd be able to take pix of my full collection haha!
Attachments
Up top Display case view
Up top Display case view
CAM01678.jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 8213 times
Some of the Left corner of room on the table
Some of the Left corner of room on the table
CAM01677.jpg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 8213 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

That's quite a collection you have, very nice! Has the Adenium in the center of the 2nd picture bloomed for you before?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Its about to bloom soon, that's a relatively new plant to my collection found that in the trash and gave the store .77 cents to take it home andlet it flourish and be happy.

And that's not my full collection but tthere's soo many plant's my phone's memory would would be full if i took pix of my full Collection haha!
I can't help but go thru a nursery or store and find a dying plant or stretched out one and bring it home to save it or atleast let it die happy. Luckily I've only lost one lithop that wasn't in the best of shape when i bought it so far, we'll see what happens when winter in MA comes around again, I'll be hoping they all make it thru
Samee

Post by Samee »

Very nice, big collection. Having dealt with mealies Im always worried when having a large collection indoors that if there is a mealy on one plant, its not easy to tell till its too late. With that many plants its hard to inspect too.
Samee

Post by Samee »

Very nice, big collection. Having dealt with mealies Im always worried when having a large collection indoors that if there is a mealy on one plant, its not easy to tell till its too late. With that many plants its hard to inspect too.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I've had mealies on just my one jade plant but after i attacked the issue with rubbing alcoho . I haven't seen them, the only issue i deal with are the ants and the gnats like fruit flies that try to eat my dying flowers and buds but my carnivorous plantskmindhelp control that issue, Thoe i did discover termites tryin to live in my plants window ssills(it's a very old house) and when i see them i panic and search all my pplant'sfor damage and signs of ppests i do a thorough look thru my collection every other day and a sift thru every night and morning in very paranoid when introducing new plant's especially ones bought online.